Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Mysterious paths in pen tool appearing!

Mar 20, 2013 3:20 AM

Tags: #tool #pen #path_cutting

Hi guys, I'm a keen amateur on the computer and run my own construction company. We currently have a steel ruler as our logo, but I'm trying to get a spiral staircase also. Not sure if two logo's is allowed; the steel ruler has our company name imprinted on it and I thought it was cool way to display our name. Probably severley faultered from a pro.

Was hoping to find some vector art of a helical staircase but not much out there. So we made a couple of beautiful helical stairs for a client, and I'm trying to trace that and use it as our logo also.

I'm tracing it in vector art because we have a Roland GX24 vinyl cutter and I'm making my own banners etc.

I have three queries:

1:      The pen is showing up some strange invisible paths which only appear in the plugin cutstudio (where I haven't closed the paths off I presume?). How can I get the paths to be as drawn?;

2:      When I go to cut this, the vinyl cutter will treat the paths as single slices. This design will be as if drawn, so I will want a way of creating two paths to the strokes, probably 2mm width apart.

That will then leave a piece of vinyl 2mm in width so when I peel off, the vinyl will stay there; like a pen stroke of a handwritten drawing.

3:     What snapping should I be using? I've always had problems with points or paths not being snapped together perfectly. The cutter will end up cutting some of the other adjoining 2mm vinyl and after time this will cause the vinyl to peel off.

Hope I've explained it well enough and thanks for any insight anyone can bring. logo-copyright.jpg

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 3:35 AM   in reply to Precise Formwork

You are drawing a non-convex path, meaning the area is curving in on itself and there are internal overlaps. The cutter software is simply trying to fix things by splitting your path into two convex shapes, which may or may not represent what you need. Get rid of the protrusion on the top corner and things will look much better. As for creating an outline, you may have to revert to Illustrator for that...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to Precise Formwork

I have Branched your thread, and Moved that Branch to the Illustrator Forum here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1174126?prevContainerType=14&prevContai nerID=4694

I hope that it will work for you, and that you get some good suggestions on the AI Forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points