Skip navigation
Pandora273
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting a pdf from InDesign-need to access Overprint

Mar 20, 2013 4:45 AM

Tags: #pdf #indesign #overprint

I am exporting an InDesign CS5.5 Document with mixed ink and Illustrator eps with pantone overprints.

When I export it into PDF the native mixed ink in InDesign represent accurately.

However the Illustrator eps preview as solid gray @ 70%. This is the overprint layer onto of Pantone 293.

When I turn on Print preview in pdf it is accurate.

My question is:

In the export to pdf palette under the output header, there is a check box 'simulate overprint'.

I've tried several different variations, but cannot get that check box to turn on.

Unlease I make an X-1a file the overprint for the Illustrator eps does not preview without turning on the output preview palette in Acrobat.

And lets face it, to the client, that is rocket science.

How can I access the 'Simulate Overrpint' option when I am exporting the document.

Thanks,

J-

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to Pandora273

Get rid of the EPS file and use an AI or PDF from Illustrator.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to Pandora273

Oh. I misunderstood.

You'll need to instruct your client on how to turn on overprint preview

in Acrobat or Reader.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Or, better than that, export the PDF from InDesign as PDF/X-4!

By default, Acrobat and Reader use overprint preview when displaying PDF/X-4 files. Plus you have the benefit of full color management and not having transparency ruined by premature flattening.

One other note. Other than for the fairly common practice of overprinting black text over colors to avoid halo effects due to registration, one should be exceptionally careful in using overprint. Trapping, the other good, justifiable use for overprint is really best performed by the RIP. Most modern RIPs provide for automatic trapping. Overprint should absolutely not be used as a “poor man's transparency,” especially in conjuction with spot colors. With the advent of real transparency in the Adobe imaging model and hence in Illustrator, InDesign, and PDF, there is no good reason to use overprint hacks anymore to simulate transparency.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to Pandora273

While you can not create a mixed ink in Illlustrator like you can in Indesign, there is a way to accomplish a mixed ink effect with just one object. In Illustrator, have your spot color(s) created. Select object and colorize spot color 1. Then use the Appearance panel, from the flyout select "Add New Fill", You can colorize the new fill with spot color 2. You can adust the opacity of each color (for various tints) and apply multiply to allow the colors to mix together. This object is just one element, and will separate to proper spot color.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points