Skip navigation
bornmodern
Currently Being Moderated

EPS files open with unusual line slices

Mar 20, 2013 9:55 AM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #help #mac #bug #path #objects #freehand

We have roughly 4500 eps files that were created in freehand years ago. The files contain both raster images that were embedded as well filled vector paths which were created in freehand. The embedded raster image opens flawlessly as wells as some of the filled paths. I say "some of the filled paths" because there are other filled vector paths that were created using the freehand auto-trace function (similar to AI's live trace)- these filled paths open incorrectly. They open with unusual lines that perforate the entire filled object- a strange slicing effect that appears to happen only to the filled paths that underwent freehand's auto-trace function. The other art appears to be fine.

Is there a method to correct this problem in AI? I'm using A mac os 10.6.8 cs5, When I open the eps in photoshop I don't see any slicing- but photoshop also converts it to a raster image and I would like to preserve the paths. When I open the image again in freehand it opens fine.

Below are examples showing the sclicing effect.

Screen shot 2013-03-20 at 10.32.29 AM.pngScreen shot 2013-03-20 at 10.31.51 AM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to bornmodern

AI paths can only have a certain number of points. The program is simply slicing them up in chunks that fall within that threshold. You don't get the problem in PS because it uses the embedded PDF compatible data which doesn't suffer from this problem... There's really no easy fix to your problem. You would have to spend a lot of time to restructure the artwork, so in fact it may be easier to just trace everything again and let AI create the paths following its own logic - with compound paths made up of sub-paths, not complex single paths.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to bornmodern

Can you provide one or a couple of sample files?

Preferably, include an .fh file as well, if possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to bornmodern

You would need to upload to your own site or a place like dropbox.com and provide a link.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 7:37 PM   in reply to bornmodern

Hello Born,

It takes about 3-4 minutes to isloate the background, sliced up pieces, convert that to raster and trace. Sucks, but I think ultimately that is best. There was a slight color shift.

Selecting those slices and uniting seems to lessen then appearance of gaps. If this is an average case EPS file, that might be fine. Whether I simply opened the file and printed or printed after using Unite, the gaps were not apparent.

Hoping to hear something better from Kurt. The screen shot is of the traced background "splat" with the dude. If you would like the AI file, let me know and I will upload it. I'll delete it from my system in the morning.

Mike

capture-000134.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to bornmodern

Expand the trace from the context menu following the trace. I still made a compound path of the trace to the bits around it could simply be colored at once. And grouped the dude. But I also made the various overlapping elements of the dude into single elements using unite.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/illustration.ai

And it takes but a second or two to make the background the same color as the dude in this example.

After I know you have the above (if you want it) I'll remove it from my server.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to bornmodern

Done. Gone from the computer, too.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to bornmodern

Assuming your other files are structured in the same or a similar way, I would do that:

- Isolate the background and put it onto a separate layer

- To that layer apply a subtle Offset path effect and the Unite Pathfinder effect (from Effect menu). Then save this appearance stack as a graphic style.

- Target the layer and execute the Object > Expand Appearance command

You can reuse the graphic style in other files to speed up the procedure.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points