Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Form2Excel Has Hi-Jacked My Code!

Mar 20, 2013 12:17 PM

I recently installed "Form2Excel" and have been trying to figure out how to apply it. The software came over with almost no instructions or user guide to speak of but THAT'S another story. Apparently it has "hi-jacked" my code; specifically it has wrapped itself around the string of code that deals with links and images. Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly how do you overcome it? Can this be uninstalled from Dreamweaver? I found the F2E subfolder within my local server but am afraid to delete it.  I tried to find a phone number to speak with their tech people but couldn't find one. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to Gwynnplaine

Never heard of Form2Excel.  Sounds like a 3rd party extension that the developer gave up on.  Use Extension Manager to disable or delete extensions from DW.  Go to Command > Manage Extensions...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to Gwynnplaine

<a href="mailto:you@example.com?subject=some%20subject&body=some%20body%20content">link</a>

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

Great, another email address to harvest for use in my mail-outs!

Have a look here http://www.golivecentral.com/pages/scramble.shtml

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

Sadly, useless. Anyone smart enough to write an email harvester would certainly be smart enough to include a decrypter in it for that kind of obfuscation. 

The smart way (and the safe way) to do this is with the use of some server scripting - it's easy enough in PHP.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

@Muz,

Show me just one way of doing this using PHP.

Yes, it is easy enough to to see the ASCII code, but while there are easier targets out there, I doubt that an email harvester will go through JavaScripts to look for an email address.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

I've used e-mail obfuscation with good results.  But I confess, it's not my preferred approach for a couple of reasons: 

1) If JS is disabled, the address that appears in the end users e-mail client is wrong which can lead to submission failures. 

2) mailto: links only work if the end user has an e-mail client like Outlook installed on their device.  

A contact form with e-mail processing script is much more reliable.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

I think I misunderstood, Ben. My reply was intended to cover the ease of simply sending an email with PHP, not in replacing the functionality of a mailto link in triggering the local email client to open a new message panel with subject and body already populated. Personally, I think if you need to do it this way (mailto) then just do it and don't waste any effort with the obfuscation.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

@Muz,

I apologise for having made a facetious remark. You are quite right in saying

I think if you need to do it this way (mailto) then just do it and don't waste any effort with the obfuscation.

and I should not have interjected.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points