Skip navigation
Lone Lobo
Currently Being Moderated

Is auto save working now in 6.0?

Mar 20, 2013 12:08 PM

Auto Save disfunctionality has cost me more time than I care to admit. I have heard nothing about this feature being fixed in 6.0 and found nothing after doing a search on this forum.  Does anyone know if/when this will be fixed? My experience with Auto Save is that it is not reliable.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to Lone Lobo

For me, it is just as it has always been since I started with Premiere 5 nearly  14 years ago, works fine sometimes, works not at all others.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 12:26 PM   in reply to Lone Lobo

Auto Save disfunctionality has cost me more time than I care to admit.

Some bugs were fixed, but not every user request was implemneted. What specifc problem(s) are you current experiencing with auto save?

Keep in mind:

1. Autosave does not save to the current file, it creates a backup in the autosave folder.

2. By default, Premiere Pro automatically saves your project every 20 minutes and retains the last five versions of the project file on the hard disk. Both of these settings can be changed in the App Prefs>Auto Save

3. Autosave does not stop playback and does not happen in the background, so if you are doing continuous playback, it won't save a backup until you stop, at which point it will immediately do so (assuming you've passed the auto-save time limit).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Lone Lobo

So it sounds like you encountered a bug where autosave stops writing new versions after the save limit is reached... Is that right?

Were those settings you mentioned literal? -- every 5 minutes, 100x max ... ?

What version was this occurring on?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to Lone Lobo

It didn't start overwriting starting at #1

I've not heard of this happening before.  PP has always started resaving at #1, as verified by the Date Modified.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Lone Lobo

I'll defer to jstrawn on that one.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

There once was a bug...

Autosave stops working after creating number of saves specified in autosave preference setting.

METHOD:

1. Create a new Premiere Pro project.

2. Check your autosave preference.  To speed up the testing I set it to create 5 copies at 1 minute intervals.

3. Open the directory where autosave projects are stored.

4. Grab a beer and wait for autosave projects to be created.

RESULT: The total number of autosave projects is your autosave setting -1 (i.e. if you set it to create 5 copies, you will have a total of 4).  After it creates the last new file the next autosave will overwrite the first file that was created.  After that, all new autosaves are created and then deleted immediately effectively giving you no new autosave versions of your project.

Does that sound like the same thing? It does to me. If so, the good news is that it has already been fixed. The bad news is that fix happened in Feb/March of 2008, during the 4.0 timeframe so you should not have been seeing it in 5.5. I'm runnign the test agin myself right now and if I see it I will re-log the bug. In the meantime, if anyone else can repro it in 6.0.2 please send me the details and I will log it for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to jstrawn

No problems here with 6.0.3.  Saving as expected.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

When it is working for me it works correctly - saves are at the correct intervals, and it over-writes once the limit is reached.

Note that if you set the limit at 15, you get #1-15, then #1 is over-written, etc.  if you look at the date created, a second generation #1 appears to have been created at the original time for #1, you have to look at the date modified to see the correct time(because the second generation is still #1) as Jim says earlier.

I think that is consistent with what JStrawn describes a couple of posts earlier, and also it is what is supposed to happen.  My problem has always been, with every version of Premiere that I have used, that auto-save does not always start when I start Premiere, so I can find that you have no current back-ups.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to Alan Craven

As a test, I set autosave  frequency to 1 minute and max versions to 5, and here's how it works in 6.0.2:

(Alan covered most of this correctly already so apologies if I'm repeating)

It saves these project instances into the auto save folder: 222-1.prproj, 222-2.prproj, 222-3.prproj, 222-4.prproj, 222-5.prproj

When the max is reached, it starts at 222-1.prproj agfain and workes its way down the list, over-writing each time.

You can verify this by looking at the 'modified' time for each one. There were some points where it looked like it hadn't written a project in a while bit it was because I was looking at the 'created' time which of course woule be older once the list starts being over-written. Also, I noticed that when I opened an auto-save project (e.g 222-1.prproj) a NEW auto-save folder was auto-created inside the parnet auto save folder containign the new auto save isntances, named as such: 222-1-1.prproj, 222-1-2.prproj.

That said, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of the fact that they may just be encoutnering a bug, but understanding the designed behavior will help us decipher what is or is not a bug. If things are still not working for you as expected, then either you have a system-specifc bug (which seems unlikely) or you have some other steps that you've introduced that I'm not following in my tests. Please let me know me know if the latter is the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to jstrawn

Those have been my experiences too. As the AutoSave files are FIFO, if I need to access them, I first switch my folder view to Details, and sort on Date/Time, to find the latest, as ____ -3 might well be newer, than ____ -5.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points