Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When Does a Change in Lightroom show up in my Photoshop Smart Object?

Mar 20, 2013 2:25 PM

Windows 7, 64-bit, LR4.3, Photoshop 13.?

I edit an image in Lightroom.  Open it as a smart object in Photoshop.  Do my processing there (half a dozen layers for adjustments).

Go back to Lightroom and make a change.

I don't see the change in Photoshop.  So, for fun I shove Temp all the way to 50,000 just in case I was missing it.

Still don't see the change...  I don't have ANY pixel-bearing layers other than my initial smart object.  I even turned OFF all the other layers.

I have auto-update open documents turned on in Preferences...

When do the changes from Lightroom show up in Photoshop?  It there something I have to do in Lightroom?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

You won't see a change - because you're editing the original file, not the version embedded in your Photoshop document.

To edit the smart object, double click on the smart object icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

After making changes in Lightroom, open that as Smart Object in Ps - it'll be in a new Ps doc. Then duplicate the adjustment layers from the old Ps doc to the new Ps doc.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 7:54 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

Yes, you are missing that the copy in lightroom has no relation to the copy inside Photoshop.

Go edit the smart object in Photoshop.

Changes in Lightroom aren't going to do a thing to the image in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 7:59 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

davepinminn wrote:

Are you telling me the change WILL NOT show up in Photoshop?  If I have to go back to Lightroom, make changes RE-OPEN the altered image in Photoshop and copy all the layers to the new document of the same image I've already done all the work on to get it updated?  And anything that was done on an image layer, like changing canvas size, or resizing, or whatever, would be lost and have to be redone?

Correct...a Photoshop Smart Object takes a copy of the original from LR and embeds the image in a Photoshop image as a SO...what you do in LR or PS after making a SO is totally separated and different. There is no easy way to make subsequent changes in the PS SO show up in LR nor any changes in the original image in LR show up in the PS SO.

Once you create a Smart Object in Photoshop from Lightroom, you have severed any relationship t the original file in LR. There is no direction connection anymore and it's not easy to make changes and propagate them up or down stream.

If you understand that a Smart Object is a new & unique iteration of the image, then you would understand your expectations are not at all easy to do...sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

davepinminn wrote:

anything that was done on an image layer, like changing canvas size, or resizing, or whatever, would be lost and have to be redone?

That work doesn't need to be lost.

1. Make changes in Lightroom.

2. Export a PSD, TIFF or JPEG file from Lightroom.

3. In the old Photoshop doc, right-click on the Smart Object's name, pick Replace Contents and select the file that was exported in step 2.

That'll bring your exported file into the SO via Camera Raw plug-in, so you'll want to ensure CR workflow options match those of Lr export.  For example, Prophoto RGB, 16 bpc and 300 ppi.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 11:44 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

davepinminn wrote:

So, rather than prolong this, I'll just keep the smart object thing in reserve for those rare occasions when I NEED a smart filter.

Well, do what you want, but...you can create a Smart Object of any layer and then apply Smart Filters to them. They don't need to be Camera Raw Smart Objects to create Smart Filters...I thin it's time you learn how to use the functions and features you need/want to use.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points