Skip navigation
El_Rick
Currently Being Moderated

Working with files on external hard drive

Mar 20, 2013 3:21 PM

Tags: #help #save #files #transfer #external #hard #drive #premiere_elements_11

I am working on a large project right now with many hours of raw footage.  I have Premiere Elements 11 for Mac, and I have found that I cannnot seem to add files located on an external hard drive directly into my project without first transferring them onto my computer.  As these are very large files, I would rather keep them located off of my computer's hard drive for the duration of the time I am working on the project.  I do not know if this is just a problem that I am having or if Adobe does not let you do this in Elements.  This is what I have always done in Premiere Pro, and sincerely hope that there is a way to do it in Elements as well.  If someone could please help me out on this in any way possible, I would really appreciate it.  Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to El_Rick

Welcome to the forum.

What is the connection type for that external?

Is the external's Volume recognized by your OS?

Do you get an error message, either from the OS, or PrE?

Now, I am on PC's, but use external HDD's, primarily to migrate my entire Projects between different computers. I use FW-800's (IEEE-1394b), and have never had an issue. This article goes into a bit more detail, but remember, I am on a PC, and there could be Mac-specific concerns, that I would not know of. http://forums.adobe.com/message/4542396#4542396

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 3:54 PM   in reply to El_Rick

Once I had this open, the program did not even detect that my hard drive was plugged into the USB port, so I was not able to add them into the timeline without moving them over to the computer's C drive.

This sounds like your OS (Mac Operating System in this case), is not recognizing the Volume (what the Mac OS calls the name of the external drive - essentially the same thing is called a "Drive Letter" on the PC). In Finder, does your external HDD (Hard Disk Drive) show up properly? It sounds like it does, but only PrE is having issues with it.

I have read of "Permission" problems with Mac Volumes, but have to admit that I am a PC-only guy, so cannot even point you to where you start troubleshooting.

Our Mod, and world famous author, Steve Grisetti, works on both Mac's and PC's, though I do not know if he uses any externals. Still, he should be able to point you in the right direction.

My question, vis-a-vis the "controller type," has partially be answered. You mention "USB." Do you know if that connection is USB 2.0, or USB 3.0? The former is very, very slow for editing to/from, while the latter should be fine for connection speed.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to El_Rick

Eric,

I wish that I had an answer for you. On the PC, I do similar to what you are doing, with zero issues.

I do have my Project files (the PREL file), my media files in folders below the Project, and also PrE's Scratch Disks, on the externals, so that I can transport the entire Project between computers.

I have, on a very few occasions, just Imported footage from an external, where the Project was on an internal.

I have never had a problem, but remember, I only work on PC's, so there could be other considerations on the Mac.

Wish that I had more, besides saying that I do that all the time on a PC - doesn't really help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to El_Rick

>read somewhere that Macs

What does it say about drive formatting at Apple?

Does Apple have discussion forums to talk about their hardware?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points