Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where do I find a tutorial for InDesign cs6 on how to set up a book cover for publishing ?

Mar 20, 2013 6:33 PM

Can't find any tutorial for InDesign cs6 to create the exact size and width of my book including bleed so I can put in PDF form to upload to CreateSpace publishing.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 11:24 PM   in reply to the_old_guy

To get you started, you could look at this recent tutorial on TutsPlus.

http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials/designing/how-to-create-a-book-co ver-and-mock-up-in-adobe-indesign-part-1/

I hope that this includes what you're looking for.

There are several places where you can look for information, about Using InDesign.

Adobe TV(http://tv.adobe.com/product/indesign/) and Online Help(http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/topics.html) provide enough information to get you started.

And there are some superb tutorials out there created by passionate users. http://indesignsecrets.com/ is an excellent resource to follow, to learn, discover, and interact with experts.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 4:09 AM   in reply to the_old_guy

Lynda.com has a nice tutorial on how to set up a book cover in InDesign: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9qccq4oqU

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to the_old_guy

https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/CoverPDF.jsp

About covers it all. No pun intended...

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to the_old_guy

File>New Document

No. of Pages 3

Facing pages = No

Set document page size to that of the finished size (i.e. the same size as your text pages)

Include a Bleed of at least 5mm

Set Margins to suit - where margins indicate the "safe area"

Window>Pages and using the sub menu (top right corner) select "Allow Document Pages to Shuffle.

Use the Pages Panel (Window>Pages) to move the 2nd and 3rd page beside the 1st page (the icon should change to indicate it's attaching)

Next use the "Page Tool" in the tool bar to select Page 2

From here use the Control Bar (top of screen) to change the Width of the page to the desired Spine Width - you'll need to find out what the spine width will be - this is based on Page Count + the thickness of the paper, including any glue and/or threading). Consult your printers.

If you don't need a spine, i.e., it's under 60 pages - then simply remove page 2 and leave the two larger pages. If it's over 60 pages you'll need a spine.

You can now design the cover of the book.

Left page - back cover

Center page - spine

Right page - front cover

Make sure any elements (like coloured frames) that are at the page edge extend into the bleed area.

Make sure any elements that don't need to bleed are within the "safe area" (your margins)

Text on the spine generally reads from top to bottom (so when laid flat the front cover is facing up, the text is legible) - but text orientation can vary from country to country. Take a look at a similar book to see how the text runs on the spine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

When you expor the PDF use the settings the printer provides - if you don't have them ask them to supply them.

Make sure you have "Spreads" selected so that all 3 pages are joined together when the PDF is made.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to the_old_guy

I have done dozens of covers for CreateSpace. Mike Wenzloff gave the right answer. It is important to use CreateSpace's recommended settings. It's all explained in the link Mike posted. You can do the calculation yourself with the parameters they give you on the page or you can download the cover template (I recommend this)--they give you both a png and pdf, either of which you can bring in to InDesign on a layer that can be hidden before you output. Then use guides to mark the trim lines, spine folds, and safe areas. Then create another layer or more to place your front, spine and back artwork and to position your barcode. Or you can have createspace put the barcode on for you. Just leave an empty spot for it (background only).

Use the PDF/X-1a:2001 PDF output preset. This will flatten any transparancies and make it compatible with CreateSpace's printing press.

You can have it all be on one big page. I think it's simpler than having a separate page for back, spine and front (Eugene's instructions). But that is up to you. One thing I do is make the page the actual finished trim size but give it a .125" bleed (in Document Setup -- be sure and show "More Options"). Then my trim guides are made for me. Just remember if you do that to change the PDF output to include the bleed area. You can save a new preset based on PDF/X-1a with this and any other changes.

Make sure each raster image on the page is at least 300 dpi.

Incidentally, your bleed must be exactly .125" -- no more, no less. With regular printing presses, you can make the bleeds bigger if you like and indicate where to crop with trim marks, but with CreateSpace, you can't use trim marks and you must make your finished document the trim size plus exactly .125" for bleeds. The margins are also .125". The safe area falls within that. Except on the spine. The margin is .0625" All of this will be clear when you configure and download a cover template on the CreateSpace site. The link to do that is on the page Mike Wenzloff linked to. It says "Download Cover Templates".

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to amygfx
    You can have it all be on one big page. I think it's simpler than having a separate page for back, spine and front (Eugene's instructions).

Most definitely you can do it on all one page. That was the way I used to do it.

I find the 3 page method simpler. Plus it allows individual export of page 3 (the front cover) to it's own file which is simpler later on than having to Crop the original PDF to show only the front cover.

If it's all 1 page, later on when you need just a jpeg or png or a single page PDF of the front or back cover, it can be a pain when it's all one page.

Also - the 3 page setup (back cover, spine, front cover) will automatically place fold marks where the spine is, when you select include Crop Marks in the PDF options.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

I should have said--it's a cool tip, Eugene. Thanks. I experimented with it and it works great. I'm going to try it for my next book. My only issue was that it was a bit of a fight to reposition the front cover when my spine width changed. But I figured out that is better done on the page itself with the page tool rather than the icon in the pages panel.

Also - the 3 page setup (back cover, spine, front cover) will automatically place fold marks where the spine is, when you select include Crop Marks in the PDF options.

That's a great tip for a normal printing press. But CreateSpace is different. You don't use crop marks. Your cover should be exactly the dimensions of the trimmed cover plus a bleed area of exactly .125 inches. A pdf with crop marks will be printed incorrectly.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to amygfx

Well that's their specs - I specified in my original post to get the PDF settings from whomever is printing it and follow those instructions.

The crop mark tip came after the fact

Yes - I wish the Page Tool had an option to "lock pages" when you resize them to keep them side by side, but alas, an oversight in the design perhaps?

Anywho - both methods are thoroughly acceptable.

I thought I'd share my way - and  you shared yours. Now the OP has 2 ways and can choose which one suits.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 11:35 PM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

No. of Pages 3

Facing pages = No

Set document page size to that of the finished size (i.e. the same size as your text pages)

Include a Bleed of at least 5mm

I would recommend to use facing pages. Because this is the only way to be sure that all pages are moving together when the size of the back/spine changes.

Text on the spine generally reads from top to bottom (so when laid flat the front cover is facing up, the text is legible) - but text orientation can vary from country to country. Take a look at a similar book to see how the text runs on the spine.

Nope. You can't say it generally, it depends on culture and language. In German e.g. it goes alway from down to the top. That is often a problem with books designed or printed outside of Germany or Austria like the Afobe Manuals, they were (in the time they existed in printed form) always designed as US books, wrong way for German readers. Before you say something like this pls inform yourself to the culural background for the targeted region.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger
    I would recommend to use facing pages. Because this is the only way to be sure that all pages are moving together when the size of the back/spine changes.

That did it! Now when I change the spine width, the front page stays adjacent. Funny, both Eugene's instructions and Nigel French's instructions (from the Linda.com tutorial linked in this thread) said to turn off facing pages and had you butting up the front page manually after changing the spine width. Maybe this is something that InDesigned changed at some point.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

Willi, this is the first time I hear other countries use down to top spine. This is very interesting. Actually I have a translation done in Spain and it looks that way. Do you know if this is the case for all European countries? What about Asia?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to Ellis home

Hi,

Spain us like English, Italian also, German the other way round. Asia I don't know.

Willi

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 23.03.2013 um 17:08 schrieb Ellis home <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Re: Where do I find a tutorial for InDesign cs6 on how to set up a book cover for publishing ?

created by Ellis home in InDesign - View the full discussion

Willi, this is the first time I hear other countries use down to top spine. This is very interesting. Actually I have a translation done in Spain and it looks that way. Do you know if this is the case for all European countries? What about Asia?

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5172503#5172503

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Where do I find a tutorial for InDesign cs6 on how to set up a book cover for publishing ?

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Where do I find a tutorial for InDesign cs6 on how to set up a book cover for publishing ?. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points