Skip navigation
LexGil
Currently Being Moderated

Strange Gradient Stroke Behavior on Some Path Corners

Mar 20, 2013 8:25 PM

Tags: #illustrator #adobe #mac #bug #stroke #cs6 #gradient

Hello All,

I'm a Photoshop user who has recently started learning Illustrator for a project. I am experiencing a strange behavior where some of the corners of a path with a gradient stroke overlap. In some of the corners, the stroke does not bend cleanly but leaves a strange artifact on the path (the stroke acts normally on the rest of the path including similarly angled corners). I am including pictures to illustrate what I mean.

The stroke I am using has a linear gradient applied across it. The stroke starts with a solid color (black) with a hard edge against a gradient from green to transparent. Sometimes the artifact is on the transparent side of the stroke (first image), but sometimes it's on the hard edge side (2nd image - this is actually the same corner with the anchors manipulated). In the third image, you can see the issue on both the "transparent" edge (though as you can see in this image, it isn't actually transparent in places where the stroke overlaps itself) and the solid edge.

I've done a lot of digging to try to find similar issues and tried many solutions - toggled snap to grid for the object, looked into miter limits, caps, and corners (I am using rounded corners), checked for stray anchors, changed points from corner to rounded, etc. Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you very much for your time and input!

Best,

Alexis

Stroke Problem 1.jpgStroke Problem 3.jpgStroke Problem 2.jpgStroke Settings.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to LexGil

This may happen when the strokes are too thick or the corners are too sharp. Illustrator can't handle the folding of the strokes then.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to LexGil

But you can get that effect by layering several stroke attributes in the Appearance Panel. For example, make the black on a different stroke layer, where you can control it separately from the green (ok, I'm color blind).

Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 3.49.56 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points