Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating a new library for translation

Mar 21, 2013 6:41 AM

Hi,

I am starting a new project with a new client, completely clean slate -- everything preceding is in Word. I'll be setting up templates in FM9 and writing US English and internationalised English versions. Ultimately the docs will be translated into several languages, including  European (Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, as well as Russian, Greek, and others), Asian (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, perhaps others), and middle eastern (Arabic, Hebrew, possibly others).  Translation will be outsourced, but I don't know who the agency will be or whether I'll be the one who does the outsourcing, so I don't know for sure whether Trados will be used, etc.

(I understand that FM isn't a Unicode product, and InDesign works better with Asian fonts, but they're asking me to do the templates and English version of the manuals in FM.)

So, I need the insight of the larger community. Would it be better to set this up as Structured or Unstructured, and does it matter what font familly I choose in the basic templates, as long as it's an Open Type Pro (Unicode) font? When it goes for translation if they use Trados, the computer there would have all the fonts they'd need for the target language, so does it really matter what font I send them, as long as I either use a rather ubiquitous Open Type Pro (Unicode) font & send them the font file?

Thanks for your insight,

Rene-Steph

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points