Skip navigation
mikecox39
Currently Being Moderated

Extra, linked, video track I didn't add

Mar 20, 2013 8:49 PM

The image shows two Video tracks, Video 2 appeared at some point early on; I didn't notice it's arrival and I have no idea how or  why it got there. It seems to be linked to Video 1 because I can't select them separately; in order to deleted Video 2.  Also Video 2 has no audio track.

Video 2.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 5:19 AM   in reply to mikecox39

Have you applied an Effects Mask?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to mikecox39

Mike,

I have never observed such behavior, and do not recall reading of it before.

The good news is that by Deleting the offending Clip, and, I suppose, adding it back to the appropriate spot on the Timeline, has fixed things for you.

Good luck, and I will keep my eye out for this behavior, and if it can be tracked down, will update your thread.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to mikecox39

mikecox39 wrote:

...  I had only just dragged this clip onto my timeline, I'm not sure what I might have hit or clicked but the next thing I know there was a copy of Video 1; minus the sound track, on the Video 2 timeline.

More than once I've drug a clip to the timeline and then not see it.  So, thinking I didn't hold the mouse right, I would do it again only to later discover I had drug it to Video 2 when Video 2 was only peeking out.  The result was two identical clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to whsprague

I still think you've accidentally applied the Effects Mask, from the right-click menu.

Right-click on a clip and select the Effects Mask option. See if that duplicates what you're seeing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve Grisetti wrote:

I still think you've accidentally applied the Effects Mask, from the right-click menu.

Right-click on a clip and select the Effects Mask option. See if that duplicates what you're seeing.

"Effects Mask".  That's going to take some homework!  I didn't know it was there, or what it is for.  I didn't find it mentioned in the Adobe instructions, your lynda.com course or have I seen it in your Tricks and Hot Tips book. 

I'm guessing for now, but perhaps I can apply effects to the mask instead of the primary video and gain certain controls. 

Googling "video effects mask" brings a lot of references to After Effects but few for Premier Elements.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to whsprague

Here's an excerpt from my book's how-to:

The Effects Mask enables you to isolate an area of your video and apply an effect to it without affecting the other areas of the clip. (This  effect is only available in Expert View.)

For example, with the Effects Mask, you can define a rectangular area any place in your video frame and apply the Black & White effect to it. The area within the defined rectangle will be black & white while everything in the video frame outside this rectangle will remain in color.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I just bought one of your books.  Looks like I have to buy another! 

Thanks for the tip.  I have the perfect project under way for that!

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Yes!  That recreated the extra clip on Video 2   and now I see how to remove it!

I realize now, because of what Bill said, that you are the author of the "Up and Running..." tutorial on Lynda!  It's really well done and I often return to it for a refresher. 

Would you considered making a video, for Lynda, on some of the more advanced features of Prem Elem; like the Effects Mask, etc.  Or maybe you already heave and published it somewhere else.

I love Lynda.com and have an anual subscription. I've been watching Prem Elem videos there since v7, also Lr and CS5. 

Thanks for shedding light on this mystery, and introcing me to the Effectes Mask, that is something I want to learn more about.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to mikecox_

Do not know about Lynda.com, but Steve has just revised, and released his "Tips & Tricks" book for PrE 11, on Muvipix.com. I have not picked up the latest edition, but love his previous version. He covers a load of advanced techniques, which are great fun, and add so much to the video-editing experience. I highly recommend it, as a "part II" to his other books.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

You can find out more about the Cool Tricks book here, if you're interested:

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks11.php

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I went the Muvipix/store and found it.  I ordered it on Amazon.  Thanks

Tell me about Muvipx.  I'm wondering if I should sign up.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to mikecox_

It was started as a Premiere Elements support site 6 years ago by a group of people who are big fans of the program.

You'll find lots of help on our forums. Lots of free tutorials, tips, DVD menu templates, music and stock footage on the site -- as well as more advanced tutorials and materials for subscribers.

Hope you'll drop by. It's costs nothing to join the community.

http://Muvipix.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I just discovered; when I tried to register, that my username was already taken, then my email was taken.  So I hit "forgot my password" and, low and behold, found I was already registered.  Guess back with v7 I signed up but since I didn't persue PrE for sometime later I'd forgotten! 

I was too been too involved with still photography back that I never took on a video project, until recently; when I upgraded from v9 to v11. So I will re-ingage.

Look forward to your book.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

I agree with you. When an Effects Mask is applied, there WILL be what appears to be a duplicate of the Video, placed on a higher Video Track, and linked to the original Video Track. It is about the same, as with the Track Matte Keying, and contains the Mask. With Track Matte Keying, one would Duplicate the Clip to the Video Track above, then create and add the Matte, above that, linking, as needed. With Effects Mask, all the handwork is done automatically, and that "duplicate" has the Mask.

Can definitely be a tad confusing, the first time that one encounters it - unless they have read your book!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 5:33 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Naturalmente!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Yeah. Let's just say that I would still be lost in PrE 11 (OK, in honesty, I still DO get lost sometimes), were it not for your book. It's getting a bit "dusty," 'cause it sits on my patio, near my laptop. It's getting dog-eared, and it's brand new!

Were I gifting PrE 11 to friends and family, I would include a copy of the book.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points