Skip navigation
Kamal Jha
Currently Being Moderated

Showing indesign document in iOS app.

Mar 20, 2013 10:27 PM

Hi, I want to create iOS app which will display magazines but other then magazine pages i want to create login and some other pages. How can i show indesign document in app? DPS don't allows us to code and I haven't found any satisfactory answer for using indesign document in coding through xcode.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 11:28 PM   in reply to Kamal Jha

InDesign´s INDD is quite complex format, I´m quite sure it´s very difficult to parse for using in some iOS app (or any other mobile OS) as a native form. InDesign can also produce IDML files which could be easier to parse for that kind of use. IDML is a bit similar markup langauge with XML and all the information of your layout is included in IDML code.

On the other hand, why don´t you just show your regular pages as some standard format like PDF or PNG/JPG? And code special features with HTML or HTML5? That would probably save you a lot of time and effort.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 12:54 AM   in reply to Kamal Jha

AFAIK InDesign SDK is meant for creating plug-ins for InDesign. It has nothing to do with cXode or even objective-C programming language which is used in xCode...

InDesign documents (indd-files) are compiled binary files, I don´t think you can parse them anyhow.

InDesign can be set to save preview images of the pages, that can be used for showing InDesign document´s pages inside some iOS viewer app, I think someone has already done somthing like that... but that´s about only way I can imagine to show InDesign document´s content inside iOS app...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 5:18 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

The iOS app which can show InDesign previews is called SneakPeek. It's related to the Mac application SneakPeek Pro:

http://www.code-line.com/software/sneakpeekpro/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points