Skip navigation
buddy_09
Currently Being Moderated

My RAW files look washed out jpegs are OK

Mar 21, 2013 2:46 AM

My RAW files look washed out, in camera I introduced warm colours by setting it on cloudy and set to vivid. They look great in other programs, how do I retain the original colors?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 3:36 AM   in reply to buddy_09

They look great in other programs, how do I retain the original colors?

I suspect you might be misunderstanding something.

Photoshop uses the embedded profile (in the absence of an embedded profile the Work Space for that Color Mode is assumed) and the screen profile to (as faithfully as possible) reproduce the color appearance of the pixels (as defined by their RGB values.

If the images appear differently in other applications they either are not color managed or your screen profile is faulty or …

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 4:47 AM   in reply to buddy_09

opened up some new photos in  bridge yesterday at first the colors were faithful then one by one I saw each photo fade to what looks like an auto or daylight mode.

So your problem is not Photoshop related at all but concerns Bridge/Camera Raw?

as defined by their RGB values

should have been: »as defined by ther RGB values and the image’s color space«

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 5:04 AM   in reply to buddy_09

It would seem best that you post on the proper Forum/Fora.

This one is dedicated to Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 21, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to buddy_09

Buddy, the issue is that Photoshop Camera Raw / Bridge don't use the parameters you set in-camera at all.  It may seem odd that it doesn't, but that's the way it works. 

The idea is that these software tools give you full control over literally hundreds of factors that go into your raw conversions, and trying to emulate the presets on the camera just doesn't make sense.

You need to save new Camera Raw Defaults to deliver color you like in new exposures you haven't opened before.  Check especially the Camera Profile setting in the Camera Calibration tab in Camera Raw.  Adobe does provide some options that will get you close to what the camera does, then you can tweak the settings further.

For what it's worth, it's not wrong to want the color to match, especially if you like the color the camera delivers.  I've created Camera Raw Defaults for my own cameras that provide a very good match between the in-camera color and what a new exposure looks like when first opened in Camera Raw...  I don't always leave it that way, though. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to buddy_09

Adobe Camera RAW does not read any of your in camera settings, it uses defaults to open your RAW files.  If you have not changed the Camera RAW defaults, it uses Adobe Standard as the camera profile to open the RAW file for the first time.  What you initially see in Bridge for the RAW files is the embedded jpg file from the camera and this is updated to what the image looks like using the Adobe defaults. Adobe has generated Camera Profiles to duplicate the ones available in the camera for Nikon, Canon, and a few others - I don't know if they are available for you camera or not since you did not mention your camera.  Go to the Camera Calibration tab in Camera RAW and select the Camera Calibration tab and then click Camera Profile to see what profiles are available - If you see profiles with the name Camera XXXXX, where XXXXX is the name of the profile you selected in the camera select it.  This should give you an image that is very close to the in camera image with all in camera settings at nominal values. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to buddy_09

buddy_09,

Take a look at this tutorial "Taking Control of Camera Raw", believe it might help.  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/cr-auto.shtml

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

Martin - I think RAW from the camera keeps the white balance setting from the camera, but nothing else?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to rob_ashcroft

You are correct - White Balance is the only parameter ACR reads other than the image data recorded from the sensor. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 21, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to rob_ashcroft

Good point, Rob, it does indeed read the color temperature info from the camera when Camera Raw is set to As Shot.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 11:05 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I think the only reason it carries across the White Balance (WB) setting from the camera is because Photoshop has no means of adjusting WB for JPEG. Although if you only shoot in JPEG you can put the JPEG into the RAW editor by simply hitting CTRL/R from Bridge when the JPEG is selected and adjust WB that way. It works for TIFF files too. Or is there another reason why WB is carried across?

|
    Mark as:
  • fleeter samuelli
    12 posts
    Feb 3, 2013
    Mar 21, 2013 11:41 PM   in reply to rob_ashcroft

Thanks Curt,   that was a helpful link

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...