Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6 is crashing and bringing my brand new iMac w it

Mar 21, 2013 5:11 AM

Tags: #cs6 #imac #bridge_cs6

2 months ago I purchased a brand new, top of the line iMac. 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, running OS X 10.8.3, etc.

I have been using CS5 with no problem.

2 days ago I installed CS6.

I use Bridge to manage vast libraries of video clips, images and documents.

Everytime I open up Bridge to let it run through a folder and catalogue the contents it more or less freezes.

I am still able to scroll through the folder but I am not able to select any of the contents to open or modify them.

If I just let it run I eventually get an error message from OS X -"Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memorey. To avoid problems with you computer, quit any applications you are not using. Closing windows and removing files from your startup disk will aslo help."

If I quit Bridge after it "freezes" then the window goes away but the program still runs.

So essentially everytime I have opened it I have had to either force quit or if it's on long enough to get the startup disk message I have to restart my computer.

I've been searching the interwebs but have not found anyone else have thing same problem or any solutions.

The only other thing I can think of is uninstalling CS6 (because you can't just uninstall Bridge) and re-installing but I have no faith that that would make any difference.

I have a feeling it may be the .wmv files that are getting in the way but considering I have had those for years and for years Bridge has been able to process them I don't understand why they would now be tripping the program up.

Are there other file formats that Bridge doesn't like/can't understand?

Can anyone help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to CameronLS1

Moved to Bridge forum.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to CameronLS1

Don't uninstall and reinstall at this point, that action rarely solves the problem.  You can try the Bridge first aid.  Hold down the Option key and start Bridge.  You will get a reset window with 3 options.

I have no way of knowing but suspect strongly that you are just seeing the hiccup of building cache.  The CS6 cache will be different than CS5, and in my opinion much slower.  If you have checked HQ thumbs and 100% Previews it can take hours to build cache for each folder.   When it is building cache it freezes the computer.   I use embedded thumbnails for this very reason.  It is fast (12 seconds vs 5 min. for a test folder) and occupys little space.  But it does not work for everyone as embedded will not show raw edits and many like to have access to fast 100% previews.

And yes, a thumbnail for a 600 mb video file takes a lot longer than a 2 mb jpeg.

Just before quitting for the night do a search starting at the top of the file hiraracy.  Make sure you have "include non-indexed folders" checked.  It will then go through the folders and index everything.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 21, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

There might have been something gone wrong during install. But first to make sure, assuming you do indeed have enough free space left on your iMac? Usually 10 to 15 % free space left is the bottom to have your system running properly.

And did you check the activity monitor to see what other apps are consuming RAM during the problems Bridge shows?

My goal would be to start over again with prefs and cache.

First it might be a good idea to use Apple Disk utility to check and repair permissions on your system disk.

For this you have to Quit Bridge and go to the user library (by default hidden per 10.7), if you don't see the user library in your user account use the menu go and press option to reveal this library.

In the preferences folder find and delete the Bridge plist file for CS6 this would mean the Bridge5.plist file. Drag it outside the user library, preferable to the trash.

In same library go to the folder Caches/Adobe/Bridge CS6 and inhere are two files, a plug in file and a cache folder. Also drag these both items to the trash. (all deleted items will refresh themselves once bridge is started.

Now restart Bridge holding down option key and choose reset preferences. Now you have a Bridge almost as fresh as per first install. You need to recache the files and also reset custom pref settings because all has gone to factory defaults and your previous builded cache for previews and thumbs also has been deleted.

Could you report back if this would work for you?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 21, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

And almost forgot, of course you already have done so but be sure to have a proper back up and also be sure to have the latest updates for Bridge (5.0.2.4)

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 26, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to CameronLS1

They have always previewed in the past. Considering I started off totally fresh I hadn't changed any of the settings to tell it not to make preview extractions. Do you know how I can fix this?

Don't know much about video in common (and particular nothing about FLV) other then that I can view .mov ,avi and .mp4 without problems in my preview panel and also .flv plays in there but indeed seems to have a generic icon.

Personally I only have used a virus scanner once for OSX but had nothing but trouble with it so I never used one again. To my knowledge until this day there is still no really need for it on a Mac, despite some advertisements want you to make believe.

But as long as I can remember the advise has always been to deactivate a virus scan before install a program. And I also did remember that this was not an easy task because that virus scanner had a lot of different tasks hidden in the background that kept running.

So maybe the problem is after all indeed to find in the Virus scan??

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points