Skip navigation
descandelus
Currently Being Moderated

Measuring Color In photoshop after adjustments

Mar 21, 2013 11:22 AM

Tags: #photoshop #color #measurements

Hello,

So I am measuring the 'red' 'green' amd 'blue' values of a picture after I adjust the white balance with a grey card..   I notice that if I measure the colors from 'selected layer' they are different then if I select 'entire image'   thise are both different if i do not do any white balance adjustment..

Which is the correct measurement that I should record?    I want the the white balance adjustment included.

Thank you,

Ross

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to descandelus

If you're talking about a histogram then a warning triangle containing an exclamation mark will let you know that you're viewing potentially inaccurate cached data. Click the triangle or the Uncached Refresh button to update with uncached data for an accurate measure.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to descandelus

The measurements of "Selected Layer", if it's an opaque top layer with Normal blending mode, and "Entire image" should, I say should, be the same if they are both measuring uncached data. If you are absolutely definitely making sure that you are not measuring cached data and these measurements differ then I think you should upload your PSD to a server and post a link to it so people can investigate.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to descandelus

You can't attach PSD files to forum messages.

You can use Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/tour

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 7:17 PM   in reply to descandelus

Yes, I'm getting a significant difference in the measurements.

If the two layers are merged then the resulting layer measures the same as the "Entire Image" measurement. Therefore, I would trust the "Entire Image" measurement.

The measurement of an adjustment layer alone is strange. Even a dummy adjustment layer that does nothing has a significantly different histogram than the image underneath it. Interestingly, dummy Levels, Curves and Exposure layers (and possibly others that I haven't checked) share the same strange measurement.

It's not specific to your file, though.

Here's screenshots of an example where the histogram of a dummy Curves layer is distinctly different to that of the underlying layer and composite image.

Screen-shot-2013-03-22-at-02.01.36.png

Screen-shot-2013-03-22-at-02.02.17.png

Screen-shot-2013-03-22-at-02.02.28.png

Can someone explain this?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 7:40 PM   in reply to conroy

Hard to imagine what measurements it could be displaying for the "Selected Layer" when that layer is an Adjustment Layer.  Maybe the numbers would be good lottery plays...

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 8:19 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hey, don't jinx my Euromillions ticket for Friday!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points