Skip navigation
Northfeather
Currently Being Moderated

Changing background on car photo?

Mar 21, 2013 12:24 PM

Hello

I'm on a Mac 10.8.2 w/ CS6 13.0

I've tried to follow videos and tutorial examples for this process, however I must be missing one or two items...maybe in my set up?

This is one of the tutorials that seems very straight forward(except for a couple typo's) but when I try it, I'm told the file could not be copied to clipboard because it's too large...however it does appear to paste the car over the bottom photo? Or did it?

"First open one of the shots in PhotoShop and select the entire image by pressing Ctrl-A, then cut or copy the image into the clipboard (Ctrl-X or Ctrl-C, either will do the trick), now close this image ... without saving ! Very important, we don't want to change the original image file, you never know you might need it again in the future.

Now create a new document (Ctrl-N) and just click 'OK', no need to change any of the settings, they are set to the content of the clipboard anyway so I can leave them 'as is'. Once the blank document is there hit the Ctrl-V to paste the first image into place. Time to open the second exposure, again Ctrl-A to select the entire shot, cut or copy the image (Ctrl-X or Ctrl-C) and close this file again (Ctrl-W)... do NOT safe the changes to keep the original image intact !

With this second image closed again I am automatically returned to my new document that already contains my first exposure, just hit Ctrl-C to paste the second exposure on top of this one and I'm halfway done already. The order of these shots isn't really that important, you will be exposing parts of one shot into the second one, which one lies below doesn't matter anyway."

Let's say the screen shot below is workable, if not I'll do it the correct way BUT how do I make the brillant layer masking work from here. Everything I've seen says to select the mask, then select the brush, then type of brush, make sure white is the foreground and black is background and just paint. When I paint nothing happens to my images?

Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 12.22.55 PM.png

Then I've tried going to File>Scripts>Import as Stacks and this seems to bring them in but w/ transparent layers underneath, why?

Thanks

chad

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to Northfeather

Northfeather wrote:

Hello

I'm on a Mac 10.8.2 w/ CS6 13.0

Hi, first thing to do is update Photoshop. You should be on at least 13.0.1 which fixed many bugs. There are newer updates, but as time goes on, more and more things which worked in 13.0.1 are being reported as broken in the current versions 13.0.4 and 13.1.2. My choice is to stick with 13.0.1 on OS X.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to Northfeather

Northfeather wrote:

Let's say the screen shot below is workable, if not I'll do it the correct way BUT how do I make the brillant layer masking work from here. Everything I've seen says to select the mask, then select the brush, then type of brush, make sure white is the foreground and black is background and just paint. When I paint nothing happens to my images?

Your screenshot shows Background layer targeted. Anything you paint on that will be hidden by the higher layers.

You have no mask in which to paint. Target the top layer then click the Add Layer Mask at bottom of Layers panel to add a white mask to the layer. White in a mask makes the respective pixels of a layer be fully opaque, black makes pixels fully transparent and grays create partial transparency. Paint with black to mask out parts of the layer and reveal the underlying layer.

Then I've tried going to File>Scripts>Import as Stacks and this seems to bring them in but w/ transparent layers underneath, why?

Thanks

chad

I guess you mean Load Files Into Stack. It normally creates only one layer per imported file. How many image layers and how many transparent layers are created when you load the two car files into a stack?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to conroy

I think that when you say "this seems to bring them in but w/ transparent layers underneath" you mean that there is a transparent border around some images in a stack, rather than additional wholly transparent layers are being created.

If so, then that'll be because your images are different sizes and Photoshop is correctly maintaining the images and not stretching and distorting each of them to cover an entire layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to Northfeather

See the mask in my screenshot. White makes the car and its shadow opaque. Black makes everything else in the layer transparent so the lower layer is revealed.

Screen-shot-2013-03-21-at-20.53.04.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to Northfeather

You show the white mask targeted and foreground colour white. You'll not see anything change by painting white on white.

Furthermore, your brush mode is Multiply instead of Normal. Multiplying with white is like multiplying with the number 1. It'll have no effect on a mask.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to Northfeather

Would the quick selection tool be a better way to create this image?

Yes, it certainly would be a better way to start the mask. Also, after creating an initial mask with Quick Selection Tool, right-click the mask thumbnail to see a menu containing the Refine Mask command (also available from Properties panel) which can improve the edges in the mask.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to Northfeather

The layer is a Solid Fill Layer. It is defined parametrically rather than as pixels. The warning is telling you that it must be rasterized, i.e. pixelized, in order for the Brush Tool to be applied to it.

However, I think you intended to paint in the mask, so you'll need to click the mask thumbnail to target it instead of the actual layer. A white border is seen around the corners of the thumbnail of the current target.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to Northfeather

You're sampling an empty layer. Set the source to "All Layers" or "Current  & Below" in Options bar.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to Northfeather

If you're finished cloning then it won't matter what the tool's options are. The next time you use the tool, set it appropriately for the task at that moment.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points