Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Centering images

Mar 21, 2013 2:41 PM

I'm building a report using InDesign CS 6 8.0. I'm fairly new to it, but have been using Quark for years. Anyway, I'm building a report that has multiple pie charts. I used the same action to create all the pie charts, so I know they are all the exact same size. I've imported them into image boxes in InDesign (at 100%) which are all lined up to the same x coordinate. I've centered the pies in their boxes (using the command shift E command). And they are all coming out slightly off alignment from one another. I want them to all line up along the same x coordinate on the page (i.e., if you look at them one on top of the other, the left and right sides all line up if you use a rule alongside of them). I right clicked on each image box and clicked Fitting > Frame Fitting Options > None, just to be sure they weren't trying to fit somehow. Then I used the x/y coordinate of the image within the box and I STILL can't get them to line up. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Julie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Kenford

Waht program did you use to make the charts? What format are they saved in? Are they "exploded"?

My guess is that they are not all at exactly the same coordinates in the creation program, and that your crop options on import are set to something like media that uses the whole file, not just the artwork in the chart.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

It's also possible the frames into which you've placed them are not the same size and shape...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 5:46 AM   in reply to Kenford

Okay, the pies themselves are all the same size, but I imagine it's unlikely the labels around them are all identically sized and placed. Depending on how the bounding of each chart group is being determined, it may be that some pies are landing at differing coordinates in relation to "center." You might be better off finding a reference point that is more likely to be constant across all the charts in terms of proximity to the pie...one of the corners perhaps.

It's certainly not out of the question that achieving agreeable alignment simply by way of consistent method may be impossible. Sometimes you just have to give in, set some guides, and drag by eye. Might get you done quicker than agonizing over elusive inconsistencies.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points