Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Grayscale InDesign becomes Rich Black PDF

Mar 21, 2013 6:13 PM

Tags: #pdf #export #grayscale #rich_black

I have an InDesign CS6 file with 100K black-only line art placed as EPS from Illustrator CS6. The resulting PDF is rich black and I cannot find anywhere how to control the color at PDF export. I thought saving as an .AI file would fix it, I've tried saving back to every legacy version as both EPS and AI and that doesn't work either, so it must be something happening at PDF export. My only color options are all CMYK variants.

Anyone have any tricks to get around this flaw?

Thanks,

Glen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 6:24 PM   in reply to G P Shannon

First of all, EPS from Illustrator is absolutely archaic. Save the Illustrator as PDF/X-4 or High Quality Print and place that PDF into InDesign.

Secondly, better check what color space is used in Illustrator. If the Illustrator document is setup as RGB as opposed to CMYK, your black-only line art will be actually RGB black. There is nothing you can do about fixing that in InDesign.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to G P Shannon

Examing the PDF saved from Illustrator in Acrobat Pro, exactly what are the color values of the line art in that PDF file? If they are not CMYK=(0,0,0,K), then you'll have the rich black problems. Let us know what your find.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points