Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Crashes on PNG Save or PNG Drag-to-Stage

Mar 21, 2013 8:59 PM

Tags: #error #save #settings #crash #png #performance #default #preferences #cs6 #stopped_working #trash #drag_to_stage

When I save to PNG, Photoshop CS6 x64 tells me its stopped working and will notify me if theres a solution to the problem

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

It began happening after I customized my settings & preferences.

If I hit Ctrl+Alt+Shift when launching everything works fine again

After going through all my settings one by one, saving the settings, exiting photoshop, then restarting photoshop, then trying again.. I think I've Narrowed down the porblem

The problem appears to be Isolated in the "Performance" section of PS's Preferences

I have drives C, D, E, G, I, J, K, & L .... F & H are my Optical Drives, C, D, E, & G are on one HDD, and I, J, K, & L are on a second HDD

When I selected drives D, E, G, I, J, K, & L as my scratch disks and deslected C:\,  saved settings, exited PS, restarted, dragged a PNG to stage, Photoshop crashed when opening the PNG

When I added C:\ back to the list, so I had C, D, E, G, I, J, K, L saved, closed PS, re-opened it and dragged the PNG to stage, it crashed again

When I deleted all other drives but C:\, saved, exitted, restarted and dragged a PNG to stage, it worked fine again.

When I went through them one by one, adding a drive at a time, I found that drives I, J, & L cause Photoshop to crash..  I, J, K, & L are on the same single physical HDD,  but the Partition K:\ on that Physical Drive works fine in Photoshop

Its apparent this is the problem, as even without restarting Photoshop, dragging in a PNG works fine, simply adding one of these 3 partitions to the list, and hitting ok, will cause it to crash when dragging in the same PNG after saving the preferences

That same Physical drive also is set to Compress files to save more space, but if K also works, its likely not that

i'll check the drives for errors.. but i doubt its that, its the first of any such error i've seen

anyone have any other ideas?

would defragmenting have any effect?

I also thought it might be from a previous Adobe install that used those drives as scratch disks and didnt get properly removed.. or somehow got left there... does anyone know where the hidden files might be stored on those drives?

I would like to know what exactly happens on the drives you select as scratch disks.. what is Photoshop doing exactly, step by step

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

Make sure you have all the Photoshop updates installed.

There was a bug that would crash some of the plugins if more than 4 scratch drives were enabled in Photoshop CS 13.0.0.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 10:01 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

No, the base installer is 13.0.0, you still have to download and install the updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 1:55 AM   in reply to chinarabbit

Thanks for the belly laugh triggered by the last sentence pf your post #2. 

Guru Chris Cox has been writing Photoshop code for some 14 years or longer…

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 25, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I've always wondered about the policy of not updating the installer with the latest build.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 2:44 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

I've always wondered about the policy of not updating the installer with the latest build.

They're happy to get the hapless installer team to provide a x.0.0.0 installer, which provides enough grief for the entire major upgrade cycle. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 7:51 PM   in reply to station_two

Personally I think PS has been the most well coded application Adobe ever bought/continued. Really. Illy is half-baked and has never been really stable nor at the forefront of design work. ID could learn great lessens from last century's Ventura.

In any case, I stopped purchasing updgrades to PS long ago and use something else mostly. Well, same with Illy and ID. I keep AI and ID up to date because there are some jobs I have to use them and or return files in those specific formats. In the case of AI, I do the bulk of the work in something else and only do what I have to do in AI to give AI files to the client. ID isn't "bad" but there are issues (running heads, etc) and do ID work mostly in it of the client wants original files.

Well, the Vodka glass is about empty.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 20, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to chinarabbit

Here we are on post 11. 

Is ranting all you're capable of?  You've been told to update Photoshop.  Have you done so?  And if so, did it solve the problem?

Why do you have so many scratch drives configured?  You do know Photoshop only uses ONE AT A TIME, right?  If you have sufficient disk space, you need configure only one.

Perhaps you should examine why you think It's necessary to use a silly alias like "chinarabbit".  If you don't spew BS you're not proud to sign your name to you don't need to hide in (what you believe is) anonymity.  You should try it some time.

Sincerity is a form of respect.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to MW Design

You know Mike, I feel the exact same way. I have been using PS on a commercial basis, since Chris Cox was a toddler play with building blocks - however those blocks DID have PS, AI, PM, etc. on them...

I have only had one crash in PS, and that had nothing to do with the program, but a program that decided to install updates, during the Save of a very large Image (one that I missed turning OFF). That was also the only time that I have ever had to "trash" my prefs, and that goes back almost 2 decades.

Now, the Installer... well, that is another issue. I think that the team, that writes those, could do a better job.

@ ChinaRabbit,

Why have you partitioned your HDD's, as you have? Especially with programs, that use HDD space as virtual memory, it is counter-productive. I am not saying that the partitions ARE the cause of your crashes, but ARE bottlenecks, as your OS sees those as separate, physical HDD's, and tries to access them, as physicaly HDD's, when it cannot.

Because of the potential for an I/O bottleneck, that is the first place that I would look. Might not be an issue, but those partitions WILL slow things down all around.

Next, I would go to Event Viewer, and look at both the System and Applications TAB's, at the time of a crash. Look for any error, or warning messages, around that time. If any have links, follow those completely. You might have a low-level driver issue, or something else going on.

Then, I would look into any real-time, active-scanning software, whether anti-virus, anti-malware, or anti-anything. When you are working in PS, turn those OFF. They can cause all sorts of issues. Just do not have an Internet presence, when working in PS. Also, I would not check my e-mails, during an Image-editing session. Turn the back ON, when done.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 6:27 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

Sir, or madam,

Noel is not a moderator here, but a valued contributor, power-user and software developer. Chris Cox is a sr. Adobe Engineer, who does know what goes on, under the hood.

The rest of us are mere users, who are trying to help you solve your crashes. Unfortunately, most of us do not have those, regarding Save_As PNG (something that I probably do 40x per day, for screen-caps to post to the various Adobe forums). That means that we are doing our troubleshooting with one hand tied behind our backs - we cannot, and have not replicated your issue, but still want badly to help you. Program crashes, especially on Save_As, is a biggie - lots of work can be lost, and that is never a good thing.

Noel is also a builder of workstations, and tester of those, so he's asking logical questions, from a hardware standpoint. I asked some similar questions, especially regarding the partitions. Once, partitions were a way of life. Back with PS version 7, PS could only access a 4GB Scratch Disk, so we had 16GB HDD's partitioned into four logical drives, to get past the limitation. As of CS, PS can address 32EB, IIRC, times four. More HDD space than most of us will ever imagine. OS's, and PS, can handle large HDD's, and have been able to do so, for years. Partitions can cause issues, and often do. The best is that they slow things to a crawl, and the worst is that the potential for a Delayed Write Failure exists - not a good thing to have happen, as it often means the HDD has to be low-level formatted, then formatted to NTFS, loosing everything on it.

Please take a breath, relax (have a glass of wine, if you are so inclined), and try to help us help you. Most of us hate to have any problem unresolved. We might not know the solution instantly, but work very hard to find it.

Right off, I agree with you 100% about the Installer, and also about download versions, that are not up to date already. [The Creative Cloud will probably fix the latter.] Though I have never downloaded any Adobe program, with the long-ago exceptions of beta tests, I see issues, all too often, where people download the program, full-paid, or trial, and then need to spend the weekend updating that. It should not be that way, but no one here has any control over that Team - probably even Chris Cox.

That said, Adobe does write, and sell, great software. They might not be without fault, but they try. Picking a fight with a Sr. Adobe Engineer will not get answers coming more quickly. Same with picking a fight with Noel, who is only trying to help, and other than maybe some Adobe stock in his mutual fund, has nothing to do with Adobe, other than as a satisfied user, with a very helpful streak.

We want your computer to stop crashing, and for you to be able to Save_As PNG (a very common operation).

Let us help you,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 21, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to chinarabbit

chinarabbit wrote:

in Windows, We always Partition our Drives, you have absolutely no choice, if you have only one drive.. since your C:/ Installation Drive can never be on a Drive where any Vital information is, since you often reinstall the OS, and to solve many problems, often a complete reformat of the system drive is required

That's completely inaccurate.

In fact, a Windows system works most stably when everything is run off one drive, C:, the default for most installations.  If the hardware is up to it (e.g., a RAID array of fast disks making up drive C: giving it gargantuan performance) the system will run most efficiently this way as well.  I know this because I'm doing it.

I'd be interested to learn if ANY other Windows users here have drive letters that go as high as I:, J:, K:, L:.  Having so many is what could be considered an "edge case".  It's entirely possible Photoshop can't handle so many scratch drives because of a bug, and Adobe just never caught it because so few folks would try to use so many.  That's why I asked if you updated your Photoshop to the latest version.

Your best approach is to have one drive letter per physical drive, then adopt practices that allow you to continue to run Windows without trouble, which include not installing all the junkware you come across, ot allowing web sites to install junkware, and managing what starts and runs on your system.  It can be done (I've even written a book on it).

Periodic reinstallation is not required if you maintain your system properly.  I'm running the same Windows 7 I installed in 2009, and it's as light and fast as ever.  I have 5 different versions of Photoshop installed on it.

I'll concede that you have to get a bit geeky to keep a Windows system in tip-top shape, but it's doable.

I believe you may have some serious misconceptions about how things work, David, and they're conspiring to deliver a less than optimal experience. 

-Noel

P.S., come here with an attitude, get an attitude.  Come here with respect, ...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 21, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to chinarabbit

P.P.S.,

I believe I have my finger fairly firmly planted on the pulse of Photoshop users, in that I participate heavily in this forum.  If anything, I believe Mac users in general have a bit more trouble (not a lot more, but a bit more) with Photoshop than PC users.  I attribute this to the fact that Mac users are locked-into drivers that are vetted by Apple, while PC users often have the option of solving their own issues by downloading and installing driver updates from such companies as nVidia and AMD (ATI) directly.

I personally have always enjoyed quite stable Photoshop operation, though I tend to push things and especially I try to reproduce others' problems.

I'm not trying to say that Photoshop is a perfect, bug-free piece of software.  But it IS quite likely the most sophisticated, demanding application you're running, and it requires your system be on its best behavior to work well.  Trust me when I say it CAN work well.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

chinarabbit wrote:

ummm... no

My system is not made to run Adobe Photoshop and for no other reason..

and having a system which "works "most" stably with everything running off of the C:/ drive" is not something any rational person would ever do.

That said, I am well able to manage my computer's software.. I know what is and isnt junkware.. and I know how to solve a vast array of problems, even extremely serious problems

and alot of problems are not a result of any sort of other software, but with Windows itself. I Dont browse shady sites.. I dont allow any scripts from any site to run on my computer, I browse through Firefox with Noscript Enabled, and frequently delete my whitelist..

I regularly clear out all Caches & Temp Drives, and use Autoruns & Sys Internals to Micro Manage & Control every single Program, Processes, Install & Registry Item on my computer on a regular basis.. as well as tweaking Services.msc, Msconfig, & Taskschd to be the Safest, Leanest, Least Intrusive, and as Efficient as Possible. .. I even manually edit the registry when needed.

I use ESET NOD 32 and have every single program on my computer blacklisted from accessing the internet.

I regularly run Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes, & CCleaner to Detect & Repair any Registry or System Problems & Keep the System Clean

I frequently run System File Checker & Defragment my disks to keep things Balanced

I like to think I can solve most any problem I could ever come across... but the fact remains.. sometimes there is no getting around a complete reformat of the System Drive.. and often times a Low-Level format is the best Practice. and other times, Reformatting the Drive is just the Best course of action..

That being clear, I dont know any Windows Power User who would say any differently nor ever recommend reformatting your System Drive to contain only one Single Partition, where Windows is Installed in the Same Partition as your Vital information.. because, obviously, when a reinstall is required, (and yes, it most definitely will be) you will lose all of your information.. since solving most problems requiring a re-install of the OS also requires a reformatting of the drive the OS will be installed on, the OS itself requires it for the most stable install as well...

The only people on the web who say otherwise are Adobe users..  and people who use their computers for Video Production... thats great.. of course they must all have some external drive all their valuable information is stored on, or else they are smoking something... nobody would ever keep their Vital Information, or any information they cared about on the System Drive. at least no one even remotely familiar with Windows, and I got my own Personal Windows PC in 1995, and have used them pretty much nonstop ever since...

Granted, my Win7Ult64 is the most stable Windows I've seen to date.. but that certainly doesnt mean I'm filling my C: Drive with anything other than the OS..

and I Literally have 4 TB worth of vital, important, information, so dedicating an entire extra Drive into my system for use ONLY as my OS drive & a Gigantic Adobe Scratch Drive isnt really something I'm interested in Upgrading my already elite Power Supply to some sort of Mega Suck Super Power Supply, just for reliability & Stability It wuld require to run that many physical drives..

anyway, perhaps I could, at some point in the future JUST FOR ADOBE, install a 500GB Drive JUST for my OS and an Adobe Scratch Disk.. keep one 2TB Drive in Case, and make on 2TB Drive External USB3.0.. or something... but thats the only method I would ever consider taking to get a Single partition for Adobe AND my OS, together..

but thats not happening until I need to Reformat my current System Drive, and thats not happening  HOPEFULLY for a very long time..

thanks though

Ever thought about switching to a Mac so you can get on with your life? [ducking for cover]

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 21, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

That you run a registry cleaner speaks volumes about what you don't know.

But hey, believe whatever you want.  You clearly feel you're an expert on Windows.  By all means, don't let my 35 years experience as a software architect engineer (or the fact that I know how to get Adobe software, among a lot of others, to run very well) sway you.

If you'd ever like to get to the point where you'd like to get beyond your computer giving you the sucky performance you deserve, just ask.  I'm here to help.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 21, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

The interesting thing is, though Chris' advice is marked as The Answer, you still haven't confirmed whether you updated to 13.0.1 or 13.1.2 (whichever's appropriate for your system and license) to see whether Adobe might have already fixed your "excessive partitions" bug.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

Again: there was a bug at one time that limited Photoshop Windows to using 4 scratch disks, with more disks some of the plugins (including the PNG format) would crash.  That bug was fixed in a dot release many months ago, and even had an obvious workaround: only select 4 disks for scratch volumes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 21, 2013 7:17 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

Here we are on post 31. 

You've been told to update Photoshop.  Have you done so?  And if so, did it solve the problem?

Updating the software is a free and easy process that uses the very same Internet connection you use to deposit your thoughts here.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 21, 2013 7:21 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

Psst, and by the way, you might want to check this page, which Adobe made for you:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform =Windows

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2013 9:07 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

Please read reply #1 in this thread.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status