Skip navigation
ElwoodWP
Currently Being Moderated

I am having a problem printing from CS5.

Mar 22, 2013 12:07 PM

When I print directly from ID CS5 the colors are not as they appear on screen.  When I export to .pdf I get black boxes in place of some of my text.  The onscreen product looks fine, but the printed result is inconsistent.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to ElwoodWP

Have you tried exporting to a PDF and printing from Acrobat or Reader? It can help in some cases.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to ElwoodWP

Is your monitor calibrated and profiled? How about the printer? Are you using Printer color management or ID color management when you print? In an unmanaged workflow with uncalibrated equipment it would be next to miraculous to get predictable output.

You say you get black boxes for som of the text? What are you using to open the PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to ElwoodWP

If you don't understand questions about color management it's a good bet you don't understand how it works and how you should be setting up the files.

There are a number of possibilities here. First is that your uncalibrated monitor is not showing you the correct colors to begin with. Waht you see on screen isn't necessarliy the colors really defined by the color numbers in your file. Second is the printer may not be accurately ooutputting the numbers sent, or it may be outputting accurately, but they look wrong because the monitor is lying to you.

A third, and very large, possibility is that you are using the wrong settings in the print dialog or the export dialog for the destination profile so that the colors are not matched to the intended output device (your printer). Just how far off, and in what way, are the prints? Due to the nature of scanning and the forums we probably can't tell much about the difference from a photo or scan of the print, or I'd ask you to show us that and a screen capture of the file in ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to ElwoodWP

Are you using a Pantone spot color for the banner?

What you describe could be the result of transparency flattening interacting with a spot color. A screen grab of the spread in ID and the PDF might be useful, after all.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to ElwoodWP

The bevel and emboss effect is a transparency effect, so in theory both pages should be the same, but you say they are not. What happens if you select one of these two-page spreads in the Pages panel and move it into a new file (make the new file first, then select the pages to move and choose Move Pages... from the pages panel flyout menu)?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to ElwoodWP

I really want you to move pages, rather than copy/paste, becasue it may help to show if the actual spread is a problem, if there's some sort of file corruption, or sometheing else entirely.

If you want to text using Copy/Paste, copy EVERYTHInG on the two-page spread and paste it into a new two-page spread in a new file. That will also be useful.

Where we are going is trying to determine if the file is corrupt, and if it is if we can fix it. Does this file have a history of repeated use through "recycling" (save as a new version, then remove unneeded content and add new)?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to ElwoodWP

OK, this is actually good information. We move a spread and it failed as before, so that means it's something about the pages. Next step is to try an export to .idml and resave that aas a new .indd file. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

If that still doesn't fix the problem we're getting down to last resorts. Try the select all, copy, and paste in a new file that I mentioned in the last post. Hopefully that will fix things. If not, you may have to rebuild completely.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points