Skip navigation
matt9987332
Currently Being Moderated

'Fatal error' writing DVD

Mar 22, 2013 1:32 PM

Not sure where to post this as it is not a question - just a caution.  Perhaps I can save someone else the 15 hours I just lost forever to figure this out.  Writing a Premiere Elements 11 4.2 Gb H264 1920x1080i NTSC Dolby presentation to DVD.  Passed through encoding and compiling but stopped at 3% burning to CD with the message 'fatal error' whether writing to Folder or actually burning a DVD.  After painstaking investigation (with emphasis on the pain) I found that using a 'Dither Dissolve' transition was the cause. I made a presentation with two pictures and the transition, got the error, removed the transition, wrote the file fine.  Removed the four occurrences of dither dissolve from the original presentation and replaced them with different transitions and wrote my presentation.  Kinda sounds like a bug but of course I suppose it's possible that it could be limited to my hardware.  Beware.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2013 1:46 PM   in reply to matt9987332

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting. That is the first reference to problems with Dither Dissolve, that I can recall. I will use it in some test Projects, and see what I can find out.

Thank you for reporting,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to matt9987332

Hi guys,

I have the same problem you describe.

I have tested two pictures with 'dither dissolve' (equivalent to 'fondu du film' in French). It works.

I have generated a bluray version.

I had the same error message, but the bluray works!

Do you have an idea?

Configuration

• Win7 64bits
    • Adobe Premiere Elements 11

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to yves sebastien

Sebastian

Although matt9987332 described what worked for him, I would need more information in his case as to cause and effect. If he is using a DVD-R disc (he says he is using a CD which is probably a typing error), that DVD-R is labelled 4.7 GB/120 seconds but is actually 4.38 GB. And, I do not recall seeing mention of the Timeline duration. So some of the problems could be related to how that burn dialog is set up and the size of the project. I suspect that the dither dissolve was not the direct cause of his problems, but I would need to run a mini test run on that. But you seem to say that the dither dissolve does not present any problems for you in your workflow which you are using to compare to his.

As I often write, problems with the same symptoms can (often due) have different causes, and the answers are in the details. So, let us look at more details specific to your situation:

a. You indicate that you are running Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit.

b. What does the Timeline content consist of and what is the total duration of the Timeline content? In the DVD burn dialog, what does the Quality Area there show for Space Required and Bitrate? What type of DVD disc are you using...standard or double layer single sided?

c. Could you further explain

I have the same problem you describe.

I have tested two pictures with 'dither dissolve' (equivalent to 'fondu du film' in French). It works.

I have generated a bluray version.

I had the same error message, but the bluray works!

Are you saying that you got a "fatal error" message while doing the burn to Blu-ray, but the process continued to success nonetheless or something else?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hi ATR,

Indeed, matt9987332 said that he burned a CD. I guessed it was a DVD considering the size of files we can generate.

This assumption is maybe wrong.

The problem described by matt9987332 is what I have currently.

"Passed through encoding and compiling but stopped at 3% burning to CD with the message 'fatal error' whether writing to Folder or actually burning a DVD"

The burning stopped @ 3% or @ 99%.

message1.jpg

b/ The total duration of the film is 18 minutes. The content consists of a medley of pictures (in medium and high quality), movies and mp3 music. I have effects between pictures to get the right rythm. All the media are separated of other programs (like Picasa) in order to avoid any interference.

The target quality is 1920x1080i NTSC Dolby AVCHD.

The estimated size of the movie is 2.49Go, so less than the capacity of a DVD+R

I have DVD+R from Verbatim, single side.

There is no indication on the parameter table which indicates the birate.

message3.jpg

c/ I have burnt a bluray disc. The process works : I means that Premiere has generated the first part for the bluray menu, and has coding the media up to 99%.

At this percentage, I have a message which is 'error of the peripheric'. Then, I cancel the operation. New message 'do you want to stop burning'. I click yes. And in the same time, PowerDVD is launched and is ready to read the bluray.

I test the bluray, and it works normally.

message4.jpgmessage0.jpg

Honestly, I do not understand what happens.

Sometime, when I close the software, I have an error message.

Do you think this message is link to the previous one.

message2.jpg

thanks for your help

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to yves sebastien

yves sebastien

Thank you for all the details.

Premiere Elements does not burn anything to a CD disc so that is indeed out the question...the Premiere Elements burn to disc is restricted to DVD disc or Blu-ray disc.

Please confirm....you are not interested in burning your Premiere Elements Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc. Rather, you are talking about burning your Timeline content to AVCHD format on a DVD disc and problems associated with that task.  And, you are also saying that if you burned that very same Timeline to Blu-ray disc format on a Blu-ray disc instead, there are no problems. Is all that correct?

I will study your details and report back soon with comments.

Thank you again.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to matt9987332

matt9987332

Thanks for the follow up contribution. Much appreciated.

You make an excellent point about the issues involved in finding a player for the AVCHD on DVD disc. It cannot be played on the DVD Player, and the Blu-ray Players do not all play it.

I will be looking into burn to AVCHD on DVD disc matter some more later in the evening and see if what I can find. The details that have been posted in this thread by you and yves sebastien will be helpful in doing that.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to yves sebastien

Yves Sebastien

I have not completely studied your details, but I need more information about two important points:

Regarding your Blu-ray:

1. In your first screenshot, there are several very thin vertical black lines scattered about the tracks. Please expand the Timeline content with the + - Timeline Slider above the Timeline to determine if what I am seeing are leftover slivers or an actual Timeline assets.

2. With regard to the burn dialog for Blu-ray...that represents the dialog without the Blu-ray disc in the Blu-ray burner tray. Please look at that again with the Blu-ray disc in the Blu-ray burner tray and no check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" which I believe in French would be "Adapter le contenu a l'espace disponible". What do you see in that area for Space Required and Bitrate. If your Space Required is 23 GB or less DO NOT put a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" as it appears you have.

The above is addressing any Blu-ray issues you are having. I have written about these matters a while back and have recently entered them also in a blog that I started. Please refer to "PE11: Blu-ray Burn Dialog "Fit Content to Available Space" Choice" posted at my blog

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/

I will now go back to the AVCHD on DVD disc part of the matter.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to yves sebastien

Yves Sebastien

Regarding AVCHD on DVD disc...

I built a Premiere Elements 11 PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 project using many .m2t 1920 x 1080i25 clips, enought to give me AVCHD DVD burn to dialog Quality Area showing 2.50 GB at 15.59 Mbps (megabits per second). As you did, I had a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space". That Timeline content was burned to a DVD-R disc (4.7 GB/120 minutes) in less than 1 hour without any problems and played back well in the CyberLink software that came with my Blu-ray burner. The project was constructed so that all the video and audio were on Video 1/Audio 1 (linked from the time of import).Consequently, I do not see a basic flaw in the process and the generalization that the feature does not work.

This is what I am suggesting:

a. Take this same Timeline content and determine if it will burn to a DVD-R disc as AVCHD on that DVD-R disc as well as DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD-R disc. These burns are suggested for troubleshooting purposes and not to detour you from HD to SD product. I have run out of DVD+R discs so I cannot test the DVD-R vs DVD+R variable.

b. Inspect your Timeline tracks for irregularities, especially the presents of very thin vertical black lines that may be scattered through the tracks.

c. How many times did you try to burn that Timeline content to AVCHD DVD with your DVD+R?

Please let us know how your work is progressing. I will continue to think about this.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)