Skip navigation
rolyatlah
Currently Being Moderated

From PP to Encore I lose audio

Mar 22, 2013 1:33 PM

When moving from PP to Encore I, as aparently hundreds, most likely thousands, of other folks have experienced, lose the audio portion of my project. Sometimes I will get only the first part. Here are some points to consider:

1. Many threads have spoken of leaving the Encore more time to process. I have left mine for an entire day. If that is not enough time??

2. I am importing from a Sony video camera VX2000 NTSC I am processing standard DVs NOT HD NOT Blu Ray. 720X480 29.97fps

3. I am NOT a knowledgeable video editor I make rocking chairs and teach people how to make them - www.rockingchairuniversity.com I do my own websites, write books and edit videos in order to support my students. If Adobe supported their customers as well as I support mine I would NOT be on this forum now!

4. I have spent the better part of the last four days working on this problem. At one point I envoked Audition from PP and was able to convert the entire audio to MONO. Within Audition I selected the audio with control C, went back to PP and pasted it to an open audio channel, muted the original tracks and then processing in Encore went quite well. (could have been a dream) BUT I do not recall what I did in Audition to accomplish said task.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to rolyatlah

Encore CS6, with updates to 6.0.2?

Dynamic linking from PR to Encore?

What is the source audio format and particulars? Assume capture in Premiere as NTSC DV with PCM 48K stereo audio.

PR sequence settings? Assume standard DV with 48K stereo.

What is the Encore default transcode setting for audio? (Dolby?)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 7:51 PM   in reply to rolyatlah

I see your next 2 posts also.

I just started a new project, imported two short clips into the timeline, dynamic linked to Encore and only the first two seconds of audio plays. Wait 10 minutes the audio stops in exactly the same place.

That is very weird. More info. New project in Premiere, I assume? The short clips are VX2000? How did you create the sequence?

From Premiere did a Send to Encore? So it is a new Encore project? Does the Send operation also create the timeline, or do you create it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to rolyatlah

When I started my new project I specified MONO. When I first transfered to Encore I had then TWO mono audio tracks.

Started the new project in Premiere? You don't want mono. In the end, DVD needs to be a single stereo track. You put the same thing in both channels of a stereo track if you want mono. Getting two tracks in Encore means you would have to select a track.

I understand your searching for options, but I don't think the mono options will be an adequate workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

I see something I have not noticed before  --  On my audio 1 track I see some tiny boxes on the far right and when I hover over them they say "channel output mapping" It is setup for input 1 > output 1 and input 2 > output 2

I don't think that's part of the standard Premiere Pro interface.  Do you have any third party audio or video hardware installed, like AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

These are both brand new machines and the ONLY software installed on them is Adobe

I asked about hardware, not software.

You should figure out for sure where that "doo-dah" came from.  I don't have it in my copy of CS6, and I've never seen it in any earlier version.  If something on your machine can get into Pr deep enough to alter its UI, it could be in deep enough to mess up other things, including audio and export.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

These are both brand new machines and the ONLY software installed on them is Adobe

So you reformatted your hard drive, reinstalled a retail copy of Windows, and then installed the Adobe software?  Because if you didn't do that, you have a whole lot of software on those machines that have nothing to do with Adobe.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

Hi Hal,

I asked about hardware and you chose not to answer.  I asked you to investigate an anomaly in the interface and you refused.   You say there's no other software on your computer besides Adobe, but that's just not true if you bought an off-the-shelf system.  I can't troubleshoot effectively if I don't have all the information I need and can eliminate variables.  I'm sorry that I wasn't able to do more to help -- you will need to get someone else to assist you.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

So I stepped away from my desk, and despite my brain telling my mind to let go of this issue, my OCD wouldn't let that happen.  I hate unsolved problems, so please PTI.  I was busy performing domestic chores when I had a small spark of insight.  If I've read all your posts correctly, the only way you've tried to get your audio into En from Pr is via dynamic link.  If that's the case, then here's a possible workaround that doesn't solve the dynamic link issue but may allow you to finish your project:

Export your sequence from Pr using an MPEG2 DVD preset.  Then import the M2V video and WAV audio (or M2V and AC3) files into an En project.  Add them to a timeline and see if you get all the audio.  I recommend setting up your En project's audio to match whatever format you used to export from Pr -- either WAV or AC3.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

When I exported from PP using MPEG2 I used the preset NTSC DV high quality ( could not find DVD )

Sounds like you don't have all your presets.  That's been an issue with CS6 licensing for a lot of users.  No idea why it happens, but the usual fix is to deactivate En or Pr, close the app, reboot then activate.  Let us know if you get your MPEG2 DVD presets to be available.

If it's the weird licensing issue, that would also explain the lack of audio if you were exporting with Dolby Digital audio.

If you do get your presets back, try sending the sequence to En via dynamic link again.  My guess is you'll get audio this time.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

Is your En project set up to use Dolby Digital audio?  If so, that may explain why the asset has audio but the timeline doesn't if your problem is the licensing issue.  Let's try the deactivate/activate dance first.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

No need to uninstall.  Go to Help>Deactivate.  If it prompts you to save or delete your preferences, choose save (for now).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

EnProjectSettingsMenuItem.png

EnTranscodeAudioSettings.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

No problem.  Typically, you shouldn't have to uninstall it -- it should either automatically reactivate when you launch it again, or it should ask you for your Adobe ID and serial number.  Strange.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

I know it probably seems like you're juggling a lot of balls in the air right now, but I'll try to focus on what's most important.  Some questions:

1. Does the copy of Pr on your HP have the MPEG2 DVD export preset?
    2. If the answer to 1 is yes, can you add your previous .mpg asset to a timeline in En on your HP machine and get audio?
    3. Can you get a Pr sequence into En using File>Adobe Dynamic Link on your HP?
    4. If the answer to 3 is yes, does that sequence have audio in En?

Jeff

NB: Adobe's licensing only allows you to use one copy of the suite at a time.  So if you had En open and in use on one machine, the system may have balked at you trying to open En at the same time on the other machine.  If that doesn't describe your situation, then never mind.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

Good!  More progress.  Question 3 above was about testing dynamic link.  In En, go to File>Adobe Dynamic Link and choose your Pr project and your Pr sequence.  Add the sequence to an En timeline and see if you have audio.  Your chapter markers should come along with the sequence.  To get chapter markers when exporting from Pr, you have to use an MPEG2 DVD preset.  When you add the M2V and WAV files to a timeline, your chapter markers should show up.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points