Skip navigation
Loddii77
Currently Being Moderated

Making an interactive pdf with animations and a video?

Mar 22, 2013 2:24 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm working in InDesign CS6 and I've made a interactive pdf with swf animations, exported it to an interactive pdf and everything works great from the little animations to the page curl. Now, I would like to put a video in on one of the pages.

I've placed it as a .mov and a .mp4, exported as a .swf. It works great in the swf and the html file. It even works great when I export the video page as a interactive pdf by itself.

BUT, when I export all the pages in my doc (with the animations and the video) as a swf, then RE-import into ID, to export as a interactive pdf... the pdf only gives me a static window. ALL the other animations and page curls work though.

So there's a disconnect between the video and going from a swf to a interactive pdf.

Can anyone tell me what step I'm missing or if this just isn't possible yet?!

Thanks so much!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2013 11:38 PM   in reply to Loddii77

You are overloading your PDF. Place the swf and the film seperately (on different pages) into the InDesign file.

Are you aware that everyone who has Adobe Reader/Acrobat XI needs additinaly Adobe Flash Player installed? It is not included in Reader/Acrobat anymore!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Loddii77

Without seeing actual file, it´s hard to say what´s going on... but have you chekced that Flash Player in Acrobat finds your video? When you export SWF from InDesign, videos or any other placed rich media files are not embedded into the SWF. InDesign creates a resources folder next to SWF and stores those media assets into that folder. If you don´t have that folder same place with exported SWF, you will have problems.

If you place your video file into your layout and export as PDF, there shouldn´t be any problems. But if you place your video file into your layout, export as SWF, place that SWF back to InDesign and then export as PDF... then you will lose the connection between resulting PDF and resources InDesign created.

One way to solve that is to use public URL for placing videos. Thwn you won´t need actual video file stored locally. Downside is that Acrobat/Reader may throw an alert about that.

Another way is to open your Interactive PDF to Acrobat, select placed SWF and embedd resources folder into PDF manually.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points