Skip navigation
The_Think_Tank
Currently Being Moderated

Making corn on the cob and need help with the husk.

Mar 22, 2013 6:47 PM

I'm making corn on the cob for an illustration and I need help with the texture for the husk. I've been slowly making progress with gradient mesh for the kernels, but I can't to recreate the look of the husk at all. I've tried to recreate it in a rectangle using the gradient mesh option in the object menu (1 row, 50 columns) and I'm currently trying with the blend mode in object, but no luck yet. Can anyone help set me on the right path for making this texture:

http://images.clipartof.com/sweet-corn-on-the-cob-with-husk-royalty-free-vegetable-stock-photo-by-kennygadams-4501068853.jpg

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/660550/660550,1298544740,8/stock-photo-ripe-corn-vector-illustration-on-white-background-71847955.jpg

http://static5.depositphotos.com/1012047/533/v/950/depositphotos_5336961-Corn-oil.-Stylized-drop-of-oil-and-corn-cob..jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 12:45 AM   in reply to The_Think_Tank

Use longitudinal blends based on paths that have the color variations within their stroke, e.g. based on an art or pattern brush, then add your shading on top of it with a separate layer/ object with gradients...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to The_Think_Tank

What do you mean by "brush style"? I would choose an art brush.

You can use the width tool on it afterwards.

But I wouldn't expect that to be "enough". You might still need to use a clipping mask as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to The_Think_Tank

Just try it and if it doesn't work, post your results.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to The_Think_Tank

I've been slowly making progress with gradient mesh for the kernels, but I can't to recreate the look of the husk at all.

Tank,

You posted three stylistically very different images. The first is photographic, and would likely (but not necessarily) call for Mesh Grads. The other two are graphic treatments (and frankly they are both rather flat; lacking depth).

Illustration style runs the gamut from cartoonish to sketchy to photo-realism, and everything in between. The trouble is, you didn't show your own attempt so that anyone can get a sense of what you are trying to achieve stylistically.

I just need to set it up so that the final step isn't showing the entire box. The problem now is trying to make the right brush style to replicate the effect...

You seem to be thinking that you have to build some kind of linear construct and then figure out a way to reshape it into the shape of each portion of the leaf. Yes, you could approach it that way, but Illustrator users often tend to be what Aunt Molly would call "too clever by half."

Not everything has to be a clever semi-automated trick or elaborate and tedious consruct involving Brushes, Envelopes, Masks, etc., etc. Much can be accomplished by just thinking it through as you directly draw economical paths and constructs, that take no more time (often less), and result in tidy, straightforward files. Again, much depends on what you are trying to achieve stylistically. But here's  one example that only took a few minutes to draw:

So the above consists of:

Three closed paths, 8 points each, with ordinary linear grads

Three open-path Blends with three anchor points for each key path

Six closed paths for shadows/highlights, with 19 points total

The Blends being based directly on paths taken from the drawn shapes, the spacing of the veins "automatically" and intuitively follows the perspective width of the leaf.

Rather than building a one-size-fits-all Brush, the coloring and weight of each of the three key paths of the vein Blends can be individually adjusted at any time, by just directly selecting the key path.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 5:46 PM   in reply to The_Think_Tank

Well whaddyaknow! Money doesn't grow on trees. It grows on stalks.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points