Skip navigation
SmellGas
Currently Being Moderated

Remove strokes from multiple objects

Mar 23, 2013 2:33 AM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #transparency #stroke #stroke_knockout

Hi,

I have the following problem. I am using stokes to mask out a shape I want. I want to remove these strokes altogether but retain the masked shape.

So for example the below image has three circles with a white stroke to form the shapes I desire.

example.png

I am perfectly happy with this when it is on a white background but I want the strokes to be transparent rather than white so that they cannot be seen on a non-white background (see below).

example2.png

Obviously if I just make the strokes transparent I lose the desired shape.

This is what I am trying to achieve (this was done in Photoshop but I want to achieve the same in Illustrator)

example3.png

I am sure there is a simple solution but I am struggling to work it out.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 2:37 AM   in reply to SmellGas

Object --> Expand Appearance, convert ther strokes to objects. Then use Pathfinder to subtract.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 3:09 AM   in reply to SmellGas

SmellGas,

In addition to what Lutz said, the pale circle becomes smaller/lower than the others; it seems that you start out with the same size but with different Stroke Weights, so less underlying fill is removed from the dark ones. If you want the same height, you should use the same Stroke Weight for all.

Removing all former strokes also requires  more than one Pathfinder/whatever operation.

You may create the three circles as fill/nostroke with the desired final size(s) and then, depending on version, either give the pale one a Stroke set to Outside or create a stroke/nofill copy and Object>Path>Offset Path by half the Stroke Weight, expand that, and then select all and subtract it using Pathfinder.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to SmellGas

SmellGas,

When using Expand (which was what Lutz meant), you have to have both Fill and Stroke ticked to get the right objects to work with.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to SmellGas

You might want to show us what you already achieved (the real thing, not just circles). And select it on the artboard, so we can see the paths.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to SmellGas

If the top of the two images resembles your actual art then you can select all and then apply the pathfinder "Merge" (from the PF panel!!!)

After that select and delete all the white stuff.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points