Skip navigation
jerry7171
Currently Being Moderated

Where did my narration go?

Mar 23, 2013 4:12 AM

Tags: #missing #mac #audio #mpeg #mp4 #premiere_elements_11

I tried out Premiere 10 on some MPEG recordings to see how well it could cope with the massive HD files that my TiVo typically spit out.  I usually process the coded TiVo file via KMTTG and end up with an open MPEG file.  Premiere 10 did a great job but the price was far and above what I can afford, but checking via Google I discovered Premiere Elements 11 Quick Editor for Mac and purchased it tonight.

It handled editing with grace and speed and it wasn't hard to figure out.  It is also precise to the frame when I edit, something I can't say for other editors out there.

Within 15 minutes I had finished editing a bloated HD MPEG recorded from National Geographic and sent it to be saved as an MP4 to dump into my PLEX library.  So far so good, but for some odd reason, the narration was completely and totally missing from the final product. 

The picture looks great, the background audio is crisp and clear, but all I see are flapping lips.

I checked the source MPEG file via VLC and the narration is still there, but somewhere along the way it got stripped out or lost in Premiere Elements 11 Quick Editor for Mac after being imported. 

I guess I could, as a stop-gap, reencode the HD MPEG as an MP4 and then bring it into Premiere but I noticed I tend to lose much of the detail.

I'm on a Mac Mini, mid 2011 model, 8 gigs of ram, 500 gig HD, using the newest version of Premiere Elements 11 Quick Editor for Mac.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to jerry7171

Welcome to the forum.

I do not know Premiere Elements Quick Editor (did not even know that it existed), but, when Audio is missing from an output AV file, it is most likely that one of several things happened"

1. In the Share/Publish settings (assume that PrE QE has a settings dialog box?), ONLY the Video was checked, and not both Video and Audio.
    2. In the next settings dialog box, Multiplexer, the Multiplexing was set to "None," and you then get two files: one Video-only file, and one Audio-only file. They are not combined. The Multiplexing should be set to anything but "None," such as "DVD."
    3. Back on the Timeline, the Audio was either Disabled, or Muted.

Good luck, and wish that I knew more about that particular flavor of the program.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to jerry7171

In the "regular" PrE, one can specify the Audio channel-count, at New Project, for AVCHD Projects. That allows PrE to see 6-channel (5.1) Audio. Not sure about the "Express" version though.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

At New Project>Change Settings, do you have this screen?

PrE11_5.1_Project.png

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to jerry7171

Jerry,

Good luck, and please let us know if by setting the channel-count to 6-channel/5.1, you get the full Audio.

I am learning about the PrE 11 Quick Editor, as we go, so reports would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points