Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I transfer images from external harddrive with Bridge settings to new computer?

Mar 23, 2013 7:22 AM

Tags: #cs4 #bridge #transfer

I used to use Adobe Bridge on a computer that stopped working. My computer tech then made the harddrive out of that computer to an external harddrive. Now I want to transfer all those images with all the settings I have a applied to them, to my new computer. My new computer is a PC with Windows 7 and I run Adobe Creative Cloud on it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to agoico

Just transfer the images.  If jpeg everything is written to image, if RAW then  make sure the XMP file is transfered also.  It is a hidden file with same name as raw image.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 24, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to agoico

Thanks for your answer. Where is the xmp file located?

That depends on your preference settings. By default Bridge is set to store metadata as a sidecar XMP file. This is the file that has the same filename as its original but it only uses the ".xmp" extension instead of the Raw file extension.

Bridge stores this file in the same folder as the original. If you use Bridge to move files to other location it automatically selects the xmp files to travel with it.

If you use the menu view / show hidden files you will see what Curt meant by XMP being hidden files, the all have a document icon.

If you have converted the RAW to DNG this data is written in the file itself as is the case with other filetypes like jpeg and tiff that can be handled by ACR.

You should be able to copy the whole folder to your new system or point Bridge to the old disk, select the files you want in the content panel and use the folder panel to navigate to the new location and use drag and drop

Plenty of options

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 25, 2013 4:30 AM   in reply to agoico

However I can see in Bridge that some photos are cropped for ex.  I don't understand where that information is saved.

XMP is only used for camera generated Raw files because you can't save data to those raw files yourself, hence a sidecar file carrying this info. However, once you converted those files to DNG or have saved the files to common file type like PSD or jpeg the info is all written in the file itself.

If you crop an image in ACR then it would mean when reopen it in ACR you could undo the crop, if you crop in PS you can't undo this once saved and closed this file and it is permanent.

Btw, does Lightroom use the same way to save information about files?

I'm afraid you have to drop this question in the Lightroom Forum but LR is more based on using a library structure and catalogs. However there is also an option to save the info as XMP but that comes with a warning that this settings info is based on LR settings and does not mean you can use it in other applications also.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points