Skip navigation
biglooping
Currently Being Moderated

What will be the best strategy for encoding performance ?

Mar 23, 2013 10:51 AM

Hi to all.

As I am a rooky with Premier Element 11, I comes to you all to get your feedback with your configuration choice.

My PC is a self made choice:

CPU is Intel Core i7 3770K - 3.5Ghz

GPU is a GeForce GTX 660 OC 2Go or ATI HD 5870

RAM is 16 Go (2x8Go) gskill PC3-10700  (2400 Mhz)

Motherboard is Asus P8Z77-V Pro

SSD is a Samsung Pro 256Go  defines as the system (C:\)

Premiere Element is installed on it.

What would you do if you have the choice to buy 1 or 2 HDD 1To SATA III 64Mo (6 Gbit/s)  ?

I would like to know where I should put the following files in order to get the best performance to encode a movie in full HD.   

- Movie source files

- Premiere Element Temp Files

- Output (final movie file)

Thanks for your idears

Biglooping

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to biglooping

The tradition with HDDs is to spread them out on multiple drives to prevent input/output drive bottlenecks.  All of the article in the Adobe libraries (that I've found) are aimed at users with workstations that have multiple hard drives and various backup systems.  Few articles have mentioned SSDs as apparently they have not been considered trustworthy. 

I have a new ASUS i7 laptop and am very happy creating a new folder for each project and putting everything in that folder.  I create the folder, put copies of the media I plan to use in it, start a new project and double check in preferences that scratch disks are all set for "same as project".

Since I use the SSD as the work drive, my HDD is for storage and less significant software installations.  At 7200 RPM it is relatively fast, but not that important for they way I manage video projects. 

At output I get near 1:1 render times, unless there is significant use of effects and multiple video tracks. 

The laptop has a 7200 RPM HDD.  I tried various suggestions for spreading out the source, temp and output files and got no noticeable improvements in performance.  So, if you choose to manage projects like I do, it does not matter much what HDD you buy.

When a project is complete I move the entire folder to another drive for storage and back that up on yet another drive.  If I want to work on a project, I can move the entire folder back to the SSD.  I find it very convenient. 

Bill S

Message was edited by: whsprague to correct spelling errors!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points