Skip navigation
leah r heiser
Currently Being Moderated

How to make the shatter effect go both forwards and backwards?

Mar 23, 2013 6:05 PM

Hello!

So basically, I am working on a new intro for a show and the idea I have is to have the logo large and up in the right hand of the screen and then I want it to shatter and recollect down in the bottom left as a bug. Now I was able to split it into 2 layers and I have shatter on the logo at the top and have the pieces fall to where the bug will be and I was able to get the shatter for the bug to be reversed. But when the large logo shatter goes out and the bug shatter comes in, it's a very messy and sloppy transition. I'm working around on it to try and clean it up but the effect I'm really going for is the shatter and recollecting to all happen in one layer. I tried making key frames for the radius and it won't recollect. As I scrub, I see it shatter but it never comes back to together. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to leah r heiser

Some screenshots would be helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to leah r heiser

Shatter is a physics based effect that makes this shatter by a force. If you want to reverse the direction of your shatter then you have to precompose your shatter effect and then time reverse the layer or use time remapping. I usually use custom shatter maps and custom layers for foreground and background. If you do the same you have to pre-compose all of the layers used as a reference in Shatter.

I hope this helps. If you're completely lost when it comes to pre-composing and time remapping let us know. There are a bunch of tutorials on that on the web.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to leah r heiser

You're making it too hard. It's nearly impossible to match start and end points for a smooth transition without time remapping.

Start your explosion about as you normally do at about 3 seconds into the comp. Let the particles completely exit the frame.

Now pre-compose the layer and then apply time remapping to the layer. You'll see two keyframes. They represent the normal in and out point in real time for the layer.

Go to the point when your pieces are at the farthest point you want them to go and set a new keyframe. Now go back in the timline and pick the point just before the pieces shatter and set another keyframe. Copy this keyframe and move to the point in the timeline (about 12 sconds) and paste the keyframe. Now delete the last keyframe.

The logo will shatter, the pieces move out, then stop and reverse direction and re-assemble themselves into the logo.

I'm not sure if the logo changes into a different shape. If it does then you'll have to do this twice. If you use exactly the same shatter settings for both copies and make your transition when the particles stop it will magically change before your eyes and be seamless. Time remapping makes it easy.

Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 3.17.18 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points