Skip navigation
agoico
Currently Being Moderated

How do I transfer images from external harddrive with Bridge settings to new computer?

Mar 23, 2013 3:32 PM

Tags: #cs4 #bridge #transferring

I am posting here becuase Bridge is now part of Photoshop, but the questions is really about Bridge CS4. I used Bridge CS4 for editing my photos such as cropping, color adjustments, basic retouching etc. Then my computer broke and I want to get not just my images, but the edits I made to the images. How do I transfer that over to my new computer? Where is the information about my files stored in Bridge?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 9:31 PM   in reply to agoico

It depends on the file type, best thing to do is enable the view for hidden files.  As Camera raw normally have a side car file called an XMP file. However there maybe a single database, I would beleive if you choose that option, there would be a file location for that database where you changed that option. If you did not change anything, then by default they use the xmp files.

As for tiffs, jpg, and dng files, the metadata is stored in the header of the actual file.

You can use bridge or Windows Explorer/Mac Finder to transfer the files.

As for the actual transfer you can use a transfer cable, cd's, dvd's, flash drives, camera cards, or extra hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 6:49 PM   in reply to agoico

Hi there! Because the forum you originally posted in is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop, I moved your question to the Bridge General Discussion forum, where you'll get more specialized help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to agoico

agoico wrote:

It is mostly jpegs. What do you mean here "As for tiffs, jpg, and dng files, the metadata is stored in the header of the actual file."

I was using Bridge CS4, because I could edit the pictures in a non-destructive way. I figure there must be an external file for the edits I did to the jpegs in Bridge.

Once you save the file as  jpeg all the edits are incorporatedwritten into the file, as a jpeg does not store layers.  If you edit jpeg in ACR the changes can be deleted, but not image edits.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to agoico

ACR is Adobe Camera Raw.

As I read this you are right clicking on a  jpeg and choosing open in camera raw.  As I understand it you have not opened the image anymore than adding a label, so no the image is not resaved.  The info is just written to file.  These ACR edits can be deleted wih edit/delelop settings.

Now if you open image in PS and do some edits then save the file will be resaved with the edits, and the orginal imaage will not be able to be recoverd once this is done.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points