Skip navigation
Vee Frank
Currently Being Moderated

No Video in Timeline in Elements 10

Mar 23, 2013 7:10 PM

Hello, I'm using Elements 10. I never see any video in the Timeline when I download a video from my DV Camcorder.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 8:37 PM   in reply to Vee Frank

These questions below may be for a different product... but the information you need to supply is the same, for the products you use

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

What is the make & model of your camcorder?

Exactly what kind of video?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Also note that when you capture video it appears in your Media panel. You have to drag it to the timeline (unless you have selected the option to capture to the timeline.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to Vee Frank

I'm not sure why you think there's not video. You can see the video clip on your timeline, and there's a video displayed in your Monitor window. So it's there.

What you have, though, is a few seconds of blue at the beginning of each clip, for some reason. If you trim that off on the timeline, you will see the first real frame of the video on your timeline.

I'm not sure why your captured video has blank video at the beginning. Did you start your capture from paused video? If you started it from stopped video, it may have taken a few seconds for your camcorder to get running, during which time you captured nothing (blue video).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 5:53 PM   in reply to Vee Frank

Maybe I am confused, but if you wish to see different displays of thumbnails, such as for all Frames, First (what seems set in your case), First & Last, or None, you can toggle the thumbnail display in the Track's Header.

If you mean something else, then disregard that comment.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill is right. You can toggle your timeline to display every frame of video if you'd like.

But trimming off the blue at the beginning will at least let you see the first frame of video on the clip rather than the blue blank frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

As for the "blue," I had encountered that, way back when I was using a Turtle Beach capture/digitizing card, and its software. No matter how quick I was, with starting things, I got the "blue leader," and also the little "Play" title. I just let that happen, sort of like bringing a film camera up to speed, then Trimmed it out, either in the Source Monitor, or on the Timeline. If the OP were to click on the Head of the Clip, and drag it to the first actual video Frame, then the thumbnail would reflect that first Frame, as you state.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to Vee Frank

The switch from Timeline to Sceneline View Mode, and back, should not require that you have to drag anything. They are really just different views of the same thing, though if one has Clips on multiple Tracks, Sceneline does not show that.

Most users, who rely on Sceneline View Mode, do so at the very beginning of editing a Project, mostly for organizing Clips. Then, they often switch to Timeline View Mode.

PrE 11 has changed things just a bit, as one now has Expert and Quick View Modes. They are similar to Timeline and Sceneline, but not exactly the same, as the older View Modes.

I do not understand why you had to drag anything, after initially dragging to the Timeline, whether in Timeline, or Sceneline View Mode. That should not be necessary.

Now, when one Imports an Asset, it will come into the Project, but not be placed on the Timeline yet. Dragging those Imported Assets to the Timeline, in the desired order, is the next step.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points