Skip navigation
fishmor
Currently Being Moderated

Pre 10 says I have an outdated graphics card driver...I don't

Mar 23, 2013 5:32 PM

When I load pre 10, it tells me it's detected an outdated graphics card driver - I went to the manufacters site and uploaded and still nothing - Pre 8 works fine - Pre 10 will load projects but won't play videos.  I am running Windows 7 and ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card.  This happened about a week ago, I uploaded the updated driver from ATI and then it worked.  Now a week later I get the same message when I boot Pre 10 - what's the deal?

Eric

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2013 8:39 PM   in reply to fishmor

Display driver http://forums.adobe.com/message/4943624 may help... - the link to info on bad driver text file

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to fishmor

The Baddrivers.txt file is located in the 'program data' directory. If you don't see this file, it is

possible that you have not access to hiden files or directories.

Search on this forum on keyword 'incompatible display driver' to find the procedure to have this

access.

This file is used for all versions of PREl. As every version of PRE on your computer has its own

Badrivers.txt file, you may have a different behaviour in Rel8 and Rel10.

For me, I have sometimes to delete this file, apparently linked to Windows updates on drivers coming

via the automatic process.

Bonne chance.

JM

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to JMJarrige

JM,

You have covered most of the high-points on BadDrivers.TXT, and also why it might not display, even on a Search on a PC. It is considered both Hidden and a System file, and the default Folder Options>View is set to hide such files, even in a Search of the C:\. This article goes into a little more detail on both updating display drivers, and the BadDrivers.TXT file, which must be deleted after the updating of the video driver from the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4137087#4137087

If a situation occurs again, like with an OS update, or hot-fix, the file will be automatically re-written, and after the driver has been updated again, will need to be Deleted.

Thanks for your details, as they will likely help the OP get rid of that file, and allow PrE to function properly.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to fishmor

I would first try the regular release AMD driver, remove that BadDrivers.TXT file, and test. If that does not fix things, then repeat that process with the beta, remembering to remove the BadDrivers.TXT file, as it will likely have been regenerated.

Though I have not seen references to recent AMD video drivers in the Premiere Forums, there have been several recent posts to the Photoshop Forum, specifying issues with some recent AMD drivers not working in PS.

AMD has suddenly hit a bad spell regarding their drivers. The same happened to nVidia a few years back, when two in a row, caused problems with Premiere and After Effects. It just happens, now and then. As the extreme gaming community drives both the video card and driver industry, most testing is with the lates 3D games, and the mfgrs. often overlook major companies, like Adobe.

Good luck, and please report your test results.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is one of those AMD driver posts in the Photoshop>General Discussions Forum: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1172048?tstart=150

Remember, Noel is testing that beta driver with Photoshop CS 6, so his comments and results might have zero impact on PrE 11.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points