Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How would you do this?

Mar 24, 2013 1:57 AM

I made the left figure with the pen tool, it's supposed to be a sort of grass leave. What I want is something that looks like the shape in the right side, I got the fold coarsely, simply adding a second path with the tool. There must be a better way.

I cannot draw the leave with a special brush because I want some gradation later, and brushes don't allow. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Logo3.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 2:59 AM   in reply to FernanSalcedo

I think you are doing things the normal way.

Presumably you used Pathfinder Unite to join the second path and the front side of the blade.

Brushes certainly do allow gradation but you must fully expand everything and remove clipping masks before making the brush.

Picture 1.png

I think though that the result of such a brush may not meet your expectations.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to FernanSalcedo

Fernan,

Based upon a different interpretation of the intent, namely (like) a thin leaf that bends away so that the tip part is partly hidden by the root part, and presuming that you have a closed path, you may:

1) Cut each path at the very top (maybe after placing an Anchor Point there in the first place);

2) Close both the foreground path and the background path, and move the latter beneath the former if needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to FernanSalcedo

You don't need to union the two paths on the right. It's quite normal for an illustration to consist of dozens and dozens of partially-overlapping paths.

For example, one would typically apply a grad fill to the "underside" piece (the small path) of the leaf so as to suggest dimensional shading and look more convincingly like a fold.

Just because it's a drawing of a single leaf, doesn't mean it has to be one path. If you just need to be able to move the leaf around as a unit, that's what grouping is for.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to JETalmage

You don't need to union the two paths on the right.

Quite true, unless/until you (may) decide to switch to have the tip part in front.

For my maybe far too old (fashioned) part, I (still) prefer things neat and clean rather than quick and easy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to FernanSalcedo

See this thread, post 7, for something similar..

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 12:54 PM   in reply to FernanSalcedo

For my part you are welcome, Fernan.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status