Skip navigation
David Gardner
Currently Being Moderated

Chapter Markers shift after build in Encore when using PP dynamic lnk

Mar 23, 2013 10:24 PM

Tags: #dynamic_link #encore #chapter_markers #build_dvd #premiere_pro_chapter #encore_chapter_marker #place_chapter_marker

When I create a sequence complete with perfectly placed chapter markers in Premiere Pro CS6 and send it to Encore via the dynamic link everything appears fine (it even simulates perfectly) until I build a DVD in Encore. After the build in Encore most of the chapter markers have shifted and are no longer perfectly placed. It's as if Encore encodes the video without regard to the chapter marker information and then adds them onto the already encoded video where they have limitations on which GOP frames they can appear. Shouldn't Encore take the chapter markers into account while encoding the video? The way around this I found is to export the sequence from PP and then import the video into Encore. All is well if I do it this way but I like the advantages of dynamic link. Encore just doesn't seem to respect the chapter marker information. Am I missing something or is this just a flaw in Encore?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 5:48 AM   in reply to David Gardner

That is not normal behavior. What is your source material? Are you sure there are no gaps or other oddities in PR or EN?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to David Gardner

Just did a quick test. 3 clips; marker at beginning of each clip. Total PR sequence 32:19 (32 seconds). No menu (try that to save even more time - that should not matter). Markers do not move.

My source video consists of SD AVI clips from a film transfer.

The film transfer leaves open the question of what codec etc is in the avi. What is it? I assume 29.97fps.

My 10-second test sequence consists of 10 1-second clips with chapter markers at the beginning of each clip.

That's a bit of an odd test, since the minimum distance between markers is 15 frames for NTSC - they can't move much!

You appear to be transcoding during the build. Use transcode now, to make sure that it is the trancode that is creating the problem.

The markers always move backward in time

I wonder more about a dropped marker. Are you sure there are the correct number of total markers? What is the new marker time position?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to David Gardner

I did the test; markers do not change upon transcode.

What are your Encore transcode settings?

I wonder about the mjpeg avi's. Take another peak at mjpeg properties in Premiere, and the sequence settings. But I don't see how that would create this anyway. When I change frame rates, etc, Encore still transcodes to the same placement as PR.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to David Gardner

So you're saying you do a dynamic link from a sequence in Pr to En with a chapter marker at 1:01 and after a transcode the marker stays at 1:01?

... and you're using CS6?

Yes. I don't really understand using the 1:01 (I used 1:00 also), but in either case, I get no change after transcode.

I was also using an automatic transcode. It shouldn't matter - transcode for DVD has to go to DVD legal output.

I can't imagine what produces this result.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to David Gardner

I have to click on the respective En timeline for it to refresh before I see the new (wrong) chapter marker positions.

I went back and this did not result in any change for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to David Gardner

it wouldn't have to move to get onto an appropriate GOP frame which to me is what it looks like Encore is doing to me when my marker is at say 1:01.

Encore (or Premiere for that matter) starts a new gop at a marker. So it should not matter, as long as you are dealing with non-gop material to begin with. That is what is very odd about this: export from Premiere, markers stay in place. Transcode in Encore, they do not. Either one, should do what Premiere is. For me, both work as they should.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to David Gardner

PC Win7. A good question.

No audio in your tests, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to David Gardner

It's possible that En sets up the transcode operation but neglects to include the chapter information until after the transcode is done.

No, that would defeat the point of using Encore to transcode with chapters. Encore transcodes so that gops fall on markers. If not, LOTS of users would be having the problem you describe.

I am at a loss. Can you post a screenshot of the Encore timeline, pre and post-transcode you just described?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to David Gardner

I keep hoping I'm going to feel real stupid any minute when something simple pops up, but I don't see it...

What are the Encore default transcode settings for this project?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to David Gardner

Okay. Still nothing...

Anyone on a Mac who can do David's test ?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to David Gardner

OK. Now try it on  your PC.

And no, I don't have a Mac to try it on!

V ery odd.

I would try resetting Encore preferences. Restart system. New Encore project. Try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to David Gardner

Bug report (and feature request) form.

That is the only way to put the issue into that pipeline, and you rarely hear anything back. I have been asked on a couple occassions to clarify something on a bug report. Put a link to this thread.

You can also contact technical support.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points