Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Preflight makes Indesign CS6 run slow?

Mar 24, 2013 5:45 AM

Tags: #hangs #preflight #slow_performance #clock_time

Hi

I have problems with my indesign CS6. It takes a lot of time until files "let" me start working on them - Around 1 minute and more.

No matter the size of the file.

I've noticed that during all the time I'm waiting for a file to let me work on him; the Preflight is running. To check that, I've disabled preflight and it seems to help, but not all the time. there are still "hang" (The beachball clock is running) from time to time, especially if I'm going to another application and getting back to indesign.

I've also removed all plugins in the plug-n manager in my Font Explorer Pro 3.5.2 but that didn't solve anything.

This is very annoying and frustrating because i have a new iMac, with upgraded Graphic card and new CS6 Design and Web Premium.

The Machine I use is:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

MacOs 10.8.3

Model Name:iMac
  Model Identifier:iMac13,1
  Processor Name:Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:3.50 GHz
  Number of Processors:1
  Total Number of Cores:4
  L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
  L3 Cache:8 MB
  Memory:16 GB
  Boot ROM Version:IM131.010A.B05
  SMC Version (system):1.30f3
  Serial Number (system):C02LH7CQDNCT
  Hardware UUID:E3732BD5-146F-5DCD-8B8C-AB8BE3BFFA05

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to Taron46

Are your files on the local hardrive, or a network? Do you use cross-references or hyperlinks?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to Taron46

I've got a similar setup, and I also get slight pauses (never a minute

-- more like 6-7 sec.) -- I think it's whenever InDesign needs to access

the second harddrive.

My hunch is that since the primary drive is the SSD, the secondary

regular harddrive is not accessed sufficiently frequently, and so it

spins down. Then, for some operations (in my case, opening the Scripts

panel, since most of my scripts are stored on the second harddrive),

InDesign needs to access it, and it then has to spin up to speed first,

which can take several seconds (a bit like when you put a CD in the

drive, you have to wait a few seconds for the CD to spin up to speed).

Meanwhile, everything grinds to a halt.

Could be I'm completely wrong, and anyway, I don't have a solution to

offer -- just trying to isolate what the cause of the problem might be,

which is one step towards solving it, I guess.

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Taron46

In order to test withthe packaged folder you would need to do two things:

First, be sure you check the box to update links in the package,  and second, move the package folder. Copying a package leaves the links in the ID file pointing to the location where they were when the package folder was created. If that location is still accessible the copied pacakged .indd file is going to continue to look there rather than in the copied links folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to Taron46

OK. Just wanted to be sure you were comparing apples and oranges instead of apples and apples in your test.

I'm afraid I have no idea what's causing the slowdown, but I suspect it might be some utility that you run in the background. Do you run MacKeeper, for example?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to Taron46

Wish I could answer that definitively.

Hardware and OS updates released after the applications always have the potential to be problematic, and I wouldn't say your experience is totally unique, but we don't have the kind of volume of posts that I'd expect if there were an across-the-board problem with new iMacs or 10.8.3. There are certainly issues with Retina displays, but I thought they were limited to poor quality of display, not performance hits. You might want to search here, or Google, for keywords iMac, slow, InDesign, and 10.8.3 and see waht other threads have been started.

Just for laughs, turn off Mail to test...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 1:31 AM   in reply to Taron46

I would recommend a RAM test.(or if you can, just swap out the RAM if you have other modules available) Have seen faulty RAM do strange things with brand new machines. Machine will run fine and then just do weird things. Well, if all of a sudden your machine starts beeping like this, then you know for sure it is the RAM (but that beeping does not always have to happen to make it a RAM issue though): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbmx_555fcE

Apple, it seems, is some-what know for sometimes shipping faulty RAM from the factory, so that was my first thought reading your experience. (files work fine on your other Mac, so in any event, likely hardware related)

David

Markzware

Message was edited by: David Dilling (swap out RAM added)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 4:18 AM   in reply to Taron46

Live Preflight it know to slow some documents down with certain types of conditions in them. (You could of course use FlightCheck, which we at Markzware develop, to preflight all sorts of Adobe files instead - but that is perhaps a different thread or a direct email to me)

The issue as I see it; *all* of your 'documents' have the same problem. So it is likely not a preflight process or condition entered into the file.

It sounds like having your applications on that seperate SSD drive is the potential issue. Can you try installing InDesign directly on your local HD? I assume that solves the condition.

Just a side thought - did you by any chance "Copy and Paste" images and/or graphics used in your InDeisgn files into position or use the "File - Place" commands?

All the best,

David

Markzware

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 5:20 AM   in reply to Taron46

It likely has to do with the linked images and traffic from InDesign on the SSD drive to the locally kept images. If you indeed first launch the InDesign installer and run a de-installation, then you can properly re-install on the local HD. Illustrator and Photoshop likely do not use many locally stored images in each document, or perhaps not as many, so would have less of a problem working off of that SSD drive.

Idea - curious. In InDeisgn Peferences, under "File Handling." What happens if you, under "Links" turn or check OFF the item called, "Check Links Before Opening Document." - check that OFF, re-start InDeisgn - does that help by any chance?

As for the copy-paste; was just an outside question. Glad to here you design correctly!

Cheers,

David

Markzware

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to Taron46

I'm not sure where ID keeps the scratch disk on Macs, but on Windows it's in the Temp directory in your user profile, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were someplace in your user library on the Mac, and there's no way to move it that I know of. Photoshop and Illustrator allow you to put your scratch disk naywhere you like.

ID does, though, allow you to move the recovery folder to a new location, and you should try that, too, before uninstalling. It's in the prefs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to Taron46

You don't move the folder yourself. You let ID change the location (and then if there is still a recovery folder left behind in the old location you can delete it). To move it, from the InDesign Menu (on your Mac, Edit menu on Windows), choose Preferences, then go to the File Handling section. At the top will be Document Recovery Data and a Browse button. Click the button and pick a new folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to Taron46

I don't honestly know if you can navigate to your user library from there on a Mac (I can go anywhere on Windows that I have permissions to see, as long as I have show hidden files eanbled), but deleting the InDesign Defaults file will restore the location to the default in your user library, at the cost of losing other customizations.

I think for safety you might want to make a copy of the InDesign Defaults file as it is before making the change so you can overwrite a new one in the future if you need to.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to Taron46

It probably isn't a problem with the application's location, but rather it's a problem with the scratch disk (not the recovery data) location, which, on Windows, is hard-coded to use the temp file in your user profile, so I suspect it's working in your user library on your Mac, which is still on the SSD.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to Taron46

No, not exactly.

While you work on them, the ID files are in memory (RAM) and it doesn't really matter where they are saved except during read or write operations (save, open, checking links). But ID can only address a bit less than 4 gb of RAM, so at some point a portion of what's in memeory must be written to temporary storage on a disk someplace -- the scratch disk -- where it can be swapped in and out of active RAM when needed. In Photoshop and Illustrator you can designate any drive, even more than one drive, to use for scratch space, but not in ID.

As I said, in Windows it uses the temp folder in your user profile, which by default is on the drive where you installed the OS (but can be moved with some work). On Mac I don't know for sure, but I presume ID is using the user library, which I also presume is on the drive with the OS by default. It looks to me like this is know as the Home Folder, but I'm not a Mac expert. I did find a lot of potential information though, but googling "move user library mac" without quotes.

If you can move your home off the hard drive you might see a difference, but I won't swear to it, and I'd defintiel advise doing a full backup so you can undo any changes you make in case of bad results.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to Taron46

Thank you for sharing David and that is great news for you. Also excellent to know and in hindsight, makes TOTAL sense. Take care - David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points