Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I got Premiere Pro CS5.5 to use my GPU (GeForce 650M) for CUDA, good or bad?

Mar 24, 2013 5:08 AM

Tags: #scaling #color #frame #nvidia #cuda #colour #render #latency #quality #bad #or #imac #timeline #good #dithering #banding #cuda_card #geforece #good_or_bad #better_scaling #colour_banding #color_banding #imac_2012

I was very dissapointed to find that Premeire Pro CS5.5 (5.5.2) doesn't support that many GPUs for CUDA, and I found a quick hack to change the GPU list to include mine.

I read up a bit about it on the Adobe website, and it reasoned with the shortage of GPUs with the fact that they don't want people to use a GPU which isn't good enough, for reasons of which I can't remember (This was a while ago).

I have the 2012 iMac running OSX 10.8.3:

• GeForce 650M 512MB
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 3.1GHz i7

Not a lot of VRAM, but good processor and RAM. The Nvidia website states that this card is a CUDA card.

Since Premiere Pro doesn't support CUDA for this card, is this just going to make performance and video quality lower?

I tested it by rendering a sequence, which included 1080p clips and lower res but scaled clips, and exported (At the same frame ofc) a PNG on both CUDA and software-only. On the scaled clips, CUDA appears to be a bit sharper, yet has colour banding; software-only is a bit more blurry, but doesn't have colour banding. I can't find any differences in the 1080p frames.

So, is it good or bad that I used this hack? On CUDA, I feel like the timeline is a little slower at responding, but I'd rather trade timeline speed for better scaling...I'm not sure if I'd prefer a sharper image or less colour banding.

I'll provide the frames if anyone asks. I'm not sure what the codecs or containers were, I'll provide that along with the frames.

Edit: Also I'm using a LaCie Little Big Disk 240GB Thunderbolt SSD RAID; I doubt that's causing problems with the timeline latency.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to Siderz95

Only 512Meg of video memory means that hardware MPE (CUDA) will not work with that card, hack or not

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to Siderz95

I question whether or not you even able to turn it on.  Post a screen shot.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to Siderz95

Curious.  I can only think that your Mac is incorrectly reporting the amount of memory on the card, because normally PP just won't give you that option with less than 1GB.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to Siderz95

As I said in #1 and as Jim said in #5 an nVidia card does not, from all the documentation available, support hardware MPE with less than 1Gig of video ram... I think the actual number is 896 available... but since cards are not built that that amount, the 1Gig minimum is usually quoted

If your card is working with the hack, I don't think you really have less than 1gig of video ram

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to Siderz95

Well that's the point on the hack; to make Premiere Pro think the card is certified.

Even a 'certified' card with less than 1GB RAM will not work.  That's why I think Apple is reporting the VRAM incorrectly.

Anyway, there are times when you may prefer the results with CUDA acceleration off.  CUDA does do some things differently, and not everyone likes the result, so use your own judgement about whether or not you want it on for any given project.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points