Skip navigation
pigeon girl
Currently Being Moderated

How do you find channel tab?

Mar 24, 2013 8:59 AM

I am trying to find the channel tab in PHotoshop Element 11 to find the alpha layer for my .dds image. A tutorial i'm following that a private user has posted on the web, in there version of photoshop it shows a channel tab as well as the layers but in my version 11, it shows the layers but not the channels. Does anyone know how to access channels in the 11 version? Thanks.

Pigeon girl

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to pigeon girl

There is no channel tab in Elements, you need the full version of Photoshop CS.

Depending on what you want to achieve, you can work with layers and the levels adjustments in Elements to get greyscale layers for each channel.

In the levels dialog you can select channels : set the output of the non selected channel to 0 - 0 instead of 0 -255 (bottom slider). For instance, if you want the green channel, you can neutralize the red and blue channels. The resulting green component may be set to greyscale (Shift + Ctrl U).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to pigeon girl

Are you trying to add an alpha channel or see one that is already there?

If the channel is there already.

You could  go to Select>Load Selection of the channel with Invert checked, make a new blank layer, Edit>Fill Selection>Black and then Select>Deselect.

(the channel may be of another name besides Alpha 1)

Now add a white fill layer below and that should be a representation of the channel in the layers panel.

Maybe if we knew the gist of the tutorial your following, we could give more specific advice

Message was edited by: R_Kelly

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points