Skip navigation
msugarman
Currently Being Moderated

Mobile site made with muse not recognized once uploaded - any ideas?

Mar 24, 2013 9:03 AM

Tags: #adobe #mobile #phone #index #publish #mobile_site #muse_upload

First time I made a mobile site with muse & I figured it would work just as well as the desktop upload did. I made sure to optimize everything but when I visit the mobile site after it I uploaded it to my isp, I'd try to visit it on my phone and I get the '404 - page not found' message.

I checked the code of the desktop index page & under the head is:

<script src="scripts/museredirect.js?3859090011" type="text/javascript"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

Muse.Redirect.redirect('desktop', '', 'phone/index.html', '');

</script>

does this code look right? am I missing something

Thanks for your help

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2013 11:01 PM   in reply to msugarman

If you're getting a 404 while accessing your website through a mobile device, it probably means that the /phone/index.html does not exist. Are you using a third party FTP client like Filezilla for uploading your website? If yes, please make sure you upload all files.

The above JS code is what Muse uses for device detection and redirection purposes for non-BC sites.

If this doesn't help, please provide us with the site URL.

Thanks,

Vinayak

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to msugarman

I have checked your site on an iPhone and an Android device and it indeed appears to be throwing a 404 when all pages along with the redirection script appears to be in place. It happens when you visit the desktop version too and the redirection just isn't happening for some reason through a mobile device!

Can you try creating a quick new Muse project (with minimal content) while enabling the Tablet and Phone layouts and upload it to the same server but at a different location say like http://msugarman.com/musetest/. Also can you try uploading the original exported site (using a FTP client) to a trial Business Catalyst site in order to isolate the issue?

Thanks,

Vinayak

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 10:49 PM   in reply to Vinayak_Gupta

In addition to above, if a fresh new Muse site published to the same server at a different sub-directory throws a 404 too when accessed through a mobile device, then I suspect it could be something to do with your server's configuration. If by any chance you have a different hosting account/server for testing, can you try publishing to it and see if you are able to replicate the issue?

Also, I noticed that the Home page i.e. http://www.msugarman.com/index.html (which is not built in Muse) automatically redirects to a Mobile version of the site when accessed through a mobile device (and the redirection doesn't appear to be JS based) which probably means that you have a server side device detection and redirection mechanism in place which is most likely conflicting with Muse's JS based device redirection system leading to a 404 for all pages when accessed through mobile. A cookie (sitewide) is also created at your site named is_mobile with a value of 0 or 1 depending on if the visitor has accessed a page at your site through desktop or a mobile.

If the above is true, I would suggest disabling the server side redirect for mobile devices or contact your webhost for any assistance on that. Let me know how that goes!

Thanks,

Vinayak

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to Vinayak_Gupta

I am having a similar issue but can't understand why although I'm not getting a 404 error. It simply isn't redirecting to the mobile version. When I go to my site on a mobile it just shows the desktop version.

My website is www.thebluemoon.co.nz, I uploaded the site via the FTP within Muse and I can see all the files there and the script in the index header seems to be correct (automatically generated, as in the first message in this thread) but as I'm such a newbie I'm now stumped on why it's not working. My server provider says it's client side related not server side and is also stumped.

i really hope someone can help as I'm tearing my hair out now, the mobile version of the website is really important for my business as so many are on the road when they're looking for accommodation.

Look forward to hearing any advice anyone can give.

thanks

Jane

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 2:45 AM   in reply to vwgrrlie

None of the .js files seem to be uploaded to the /scripts/ folder. If you're using the built in FTP Upload feature, please re-publish the site and make sure you upload All Files (and not just modified).

Thanks,

Vinayak

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 3:13 AM   in reply to Vinayak_Gupta

Thanks very much for looking at my problem Vinayak, I have checked my files and I already did upload all files rather than just modified. This site won't let me attach an image that I created of a screenshot so here are the files I can see on the server side, is something missing?

pie.js

jquery-1.8.3.min.js

jquery.musemenu.js

jquery.musepolyfill.bgsize.js

jquery.watch.js

jquery.tobrowserwidth.js

museutils.js

musedirect.js

scripts

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 3:23 AM   in reply to vwgrrlie

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 3:49 AM   in reply to Vinayak_Gupta

Thanks Vinayak, OK so I've uploaded all the files using Muse FTP, and then I uploaded them via Filezilla but it still doesn't seem to work when I view from my iPod. Are the files still missing? They look all there to me :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 4:20 AM   in reply to vwgrrlie

As you may notice, none of the links to the scripts above work and result in a 404 (that implies file not found at the specified location). Can you post a screenshot (as a link or an attachment to this thread) of what you see when you connect to your site using Filezilla (with screenshots of both the root and /scripts/ folder contents)? However, if you have used the built-in FTP upload feature to publish the site and if it successfully complete, this should have been automatically taken care of but looks like it didn't for some reason.

Can you also try exporting the site as HTML to the default local MuseExport folder, check and make sure that the /scripts/ folder exists locally with the required files and then re-try uploading the /scripts/ folder to your remote site at the root using Filezilla.

I would also suggest you contact your web host in this case if you're certain that the files exist at the specified location but return a 404 as it could be a server side caching issue or some rules in your .htaccess to force 404 with .js files.

Thanks,

Vinayak

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to Vinayak_Gupta

Thanks very much for the additional information. My server provider said that I don't have an .htaccess file in my directory. Would that be the issue? How does it get there? And yes, I used Muse to upload the whole site and can see the files there, including the scripts.

I can't attach an image/screenshot, it won't let me despite the file being small. It lets me select it but not insert.

When you say 'default local MuseExport folder' - can you pls tell me where that should be on a Mac? I had this site designed by friends and they then sent me the files so maybe this could be an issue too? I can see all the files, as I said before, on both sides. I have also exported the whole site and uploaded those files again using Filezilla in case Muse wasn't doing it properly and I can see them all there. I also did a test and deleted the scripts folder server side and reuploaded.

I look forward to hearing from you and really appreciate your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to vwgrrlie

Can you also ask your web host for a reason why the .js files I linked to earlier are throwing a 404 error, if they are right there. Just provide them with the following links as examples and let me know what they say:

http://www.thebluemoon.co.nz/scripts/museredirect.js

http://www.thebluemoon.co.nz/scripts/museutils.js

http://screencasteu.worldsecuresystems.com/vinayak/2013-08-06_1551.png

The default location for MuseExport folder when you export the site as HTML on a MAC is /Documents/MuseExport. However, you can always change it through the Export dialog.

Also, there's a small test that you can do in order to isolate the issue to your web host. Just grab a random .js file (that is not a 0kb file) and upload a copy using a FTP client to your site's root and another copy into the /scripts/ folder then try accessing those files at both locations through your browser. Share the links too. If you are able to access those test .js files at both the locations, then the above listed files are definitely missing otherwise it would prove to be just an issue with accessing .js files at your webhost.

Thanks,

Vinayak

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 11:20 PM   in reply to Vinayak_Gupta

Hey Vinayak, you'll be pleased to hear my provider has found the problem:

Many of the websites we host include a virtual directory titled "scripts" which points to the directory containing the "built-in" scripts on our server (e.g. webmail form scripts). This means that when a user is directed to, or enters a directory path "scripts" as part of a URL, their browser will actually be looking for the file within the directory containing our scripts, not yours.

Looking at your website, you do not appear to be using any of our scripts so I have deleted the virtual directory on the webserver. If you did want use webmail forms or any other of our scripts in future, renaming your directory to anything other than scripts or, placing it at a different folder level, would also remedy the issue.

The site is now working as it should and I'm very relieved. Thanks again for all your help and I hope this helps others who may have a similar problem as it was hard to find any solutions to this on the net.

jane

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2013 4:34 AM   in reply to vwgrrlie

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that this is fixed!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 3:49 AM   in reply to Vinayak_Gupta

Hello Vinayak,

I also posted this question to your colleague Vikas but maybe U can help me as well. I want to show my website to futured clients but I can't show them my website on my smartphone and say that it is responsive, because instead of the mobile version the tablet version opens on my smartphone which is a samsung galaxy s2.

My website is www.jhco.nl and I have a desktop version, a tablet version and a smartphone version. I already tried to adjust the site properties into a smaller width for my phone site but this doesn't do the trick.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance!

Jan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points