Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audio file import questions

Mar 24, 2013 10:45 AM

1.) What audio bit rate is considered good enough for a project in Premiere that might be played on the web or DVD? I'm guessing 128k is too low?

2.) Does it cause any problems to work with different audio files in a sequence that have different bitrates, bits, khz? Should they all be converted to the same settings prior to being imported?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to mediafred

For #2, when Imported, PrPro will attempt to Conform the Audio to 32-bit floating point (for editing), @ 48KHz, creating the CFA, which is what is edited, and the PEK file, which is the Waveform Display. The further the Audio is from PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, the longer PrPro might have to work to do the Conforming. Be sure to let that complete 100%.

For #1, I will have to let others give you a minimum.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to mediafred

1. What is CFA?

The CFA file is the Conformed Audio File, that PrPro creates, upon Import, for editing. This Adobe KB Article goes into more detail: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS9FAF538A-BEE3-4925- B45A-DF8BE7F2A2E5.html#WS00AF9E2E-9F99-4aff-8961-1E2F30E9ECCC It is only used internally by PrPro.

- I use AIFF instead of PCM/WAV, is that a bad thing in Premiere?

- If I have a low quality WAV 22KHz 8-bit, are you saying that CS6 will upconvert it somehow to 48KHz 16-bit? I'm guessing that it does not improve sound quality of the previously lower quality sound file?

A few users have had issues with AIFF files, but those issues could well have been specific to their particular files.

The 22KHz material should Conform quite well, though it might take just a moment longer. PrPro is pretty good with "common" Audio files and also "common" attributes. Regardless of what you Import, PrPro will Conform it to 48KHz 32-bit floating-point, in the CFA, to edit.

I have some older SmartSound libraries that are 22KHz 8-bit, and they Import and edit just fine. As most of my uses have been rather short in Duration, the time to Conform is hardly noticed with those files.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points