Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 Extended Load/Replace Texture Command Issues

Mar 24, 2013 11:48 AM

In the 3d Materials Panel in Adobe Photoshop Extended CS6, the REPLACE TEXTURE and LOAD TEXTURE commands for the 3d materials seem to create a single  "smart" texture that all other textures created via the "replace/load texture" commands link to.

For instance, to texture a sphere using a Photoshop file, I first created a file called "horizontal stripes for 3d peel.psd" and saved it on my desktop.
I went to the Materials Panel>Diffuse>(Clicked icon to right of "Diffuse") and chose "Load Texture>"horizontal stripes for 3d peel.psd," to apply it to my sphere.  I then edited this diffuse file by right-clicking the icon to the right of "Diffuse," choosing "Edit" and adding a color layer at the top of the layer stack, then saving (not saving as) and closing the Diffuse .PSB smart object  file.

I then loaded a texture to the Opacity material of my sphere using the same Photoshop file on my desktop called "horizontal stripes for 3d peel.psd",

going to Materials Panel>Opacity>(Clicking the  icon to the right of "Opacity") and choosing "Load Texture>"horizontal stripes for 3d peel.psd,"  When I opened this file to edit it by right-clicking the icon to right of "Opacity" and choosing "Edit," I found I'd loaded not the original file on my desktop that I had chosen, but my edited "Diffuse" file. Furthermore, these Diffuse and Opacity files appear not to be independently editable--they behave like linked Smart Objects, and when one is edited, the other is updated with the changes.

Is this a bug? I can't find any mention of this behavior in the Photoshop User Manual. I'm using Windows 7, and I get the same behavior on 2 different computers with Photoshop.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/3d-panel-settings-photoshop-ext ended.html

I had hoped to use the Load/Replace texture command as a quick way to load up independently editable versions of the same file to the different 3d material attributes (opacity, shine, etc.), but that doesn't seem possible.   Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Jeff Combs

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to Wintermute 001

I think the behaviour is just another of Adobe's bizarre design decisions for the 3D features.

Create a temporary set of duplicates of the master texture file, so there is one file for each required material attribute. Load the files into the material then delete the duplicates. The material will contain independent textures for the various attributes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points