Skip navigation
EremitePeregrin
Currently Being Moderated

How to get rid of "Double Paths" (ex-Strokes)?

Mar 24, 2013 12:23 PM

Hello everyone,

as promised, I am back with a new question !

So, I feel that I have made quite some progress on Illustrator, but this one drives me mad!
I have created this beautiful artwork using the pen tool, expanding it, making live-paint groups and various other stuff (I don't know in which particular order) and, visually, am quite happy with the outcome. BUT, in the process, my strokes at some point, got turned into filled paths - which I don't particularly like, since I wanted to play around with the outlines a bit, to create different looks and feels.

In short: I want it to be like this, with single strokes

Unbenannt.JPG

BUT it looks like this:

Unbenannt02.JPG

How do I get rid of that? Is it actually possible?

I have searched the Internet for quite some time - one option suggests to "unite" paths with the pathfinder, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
After some more back-and-forth expanding (I am really lacking process routine in this programme ) it DOES work, but blacks either my complete- or partial artwork. Any tips?

Thank you in advance, and kind regards

M

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to EremitePeregrin

Max,

expanding it,

I am afraid that has outlined your strokes (and added many Anchor Points).

Sometimes outlining should be called ouchlining.

Sometimes the way back from something quick and easy is long and hard or (more or less) impossible.

Live Paint may also cause some distress, such as new paths you may be unaware that you have.

Do you still have the original unexpanded and unlivepainted artwork?

It is recommendable  to make a backup of any artwork you have created before you destroy it (make irreversible changes), at least until your are certain (that you will remain certain).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

But Jacob, if M has the original artwork still saved can't he use Expand and just checkmark the Stroke option?  Instead of the fill?  (Or vice versa, can't recall which Expand works to just leave strokes)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 3:56 PM   in reply to EremitePeregrin

EremitePeregrin wrote:

I have searched the Internet for quite some time -

That's not a good idea for learning. Take the manual and read it instead. Try to really understand and not only search for step-by-step-recipies. It will take time, but in the end it will take less time than searching "the internet" for every piece of work you need to do.

EremitePeregrin wrote:

one option suggests to "unite" paths with the pathfinder, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Which "pathfinder" did you use? Most probably the unknown source referred to the panel, but you applied the effect.

BTW: You wouldn't have needed to expand the stuff in order to use live paint.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to markerline

Indeed, markerline, if it is Expand (and not Expand Appearance which just does as it pleases).

In any case, the expanding/outlining of strokes can be avoided when starting over from the original undestroyed artwork.

That is why I asked.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points