Skip navigation
cvn439
Currently Being Moderated

How do I eliminate the background from this picture?

Mar 24, 2013 3:41 PM

49sw617b1.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 4:59 PM   in reply to cvn439

I used the Magnetic lasso tool. On the tool's option bar, I set contrast to 3%, width 1px, frequency 57. When using this tool, you can lay down an anchor point at any time by left clicking, going further along, left clicking again, etc. But, you can also go back by hitting the delete key on the keyboard. It is helpful to work under magnification - use the scroll wheel of the mouse or the zoom tool (Z).

1. Duplicate the background layer, work on the background copy layer, shut off the visibility of the background layer by clicking on its eye icon in the layers palette.
    2. Use the magnetic lasso tool to select the background around the trigger. It's a bit tedious! Once the selection is complete (see "marching ants" around the selected background), hit delete on the keyboard, revealing  transparency.
    3. The next step is to select the gun itself. I used the Magentic lasso tool again. Once the gun was selected, I placed it on its own layer, keyboard shortcut CTRL+J. There were a couple of spots that I touched up with the eraser tool.
    4. I placed a blank layer below the gun layer and filled with 50% gray (Edit>fill layer>50% gray)

gun_3.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points