Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

The best way to give DVD file to a client to burn?

Mar 24, 2013 3:44 PM

Hi,

My client wants me to give them a "master" so they can burn multiple DVDs using something like Nero.

I'm a little confused about the best way to do this - do I make a DVD image or folder? Can I send them all the files using a transfer service like YouSendIt? Or should I burn this image or folder to a DVD?

Thanks

Carolyn

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to CaroVideo

Create an Image (.iso) file and send it via your preferred file transfer service.  I like both Dropbox and Depositfiles.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

As Jim said, .iso works well, or just give client a finished DVD and they can make copies of it, it is not protected.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to CaroVideo

Carolyn,

As Jim says, the ISO would be the first choice. Most authoring/burning programs can handle them just fine.

However, if their software has any problem with the ISO, then using Jeff's method should work. If they hesitate, you could also Burn to Folder, which will create a VIDEO_TS folder, with IFO, BUP and VOB files inside, just like on the DVD-Video disc. One could then send that folder to the client. Jim mentions two good large file handling services, and i will add YouSendIt to that list. It's never failed me, and for some monster files.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to CaroVideo

In Encore, the operation to create an ISO is Burn to Image (do not think that the syntax has changed). This will yield what is basically a ZIP-type archive file, which will have the VIDEO_TS folder, with the IFO, BUP and VOB files, but everything will be "wrapped" in the ISO container. Most authoring/burning programs can handle that ISO, and basically extract that VIDEO_TS folder and its files, for the physical burning to disc. I really like having the one, self-contained file, the ISO, and it is usually less confusing to hand off to a client - provided that their software can handle it. If there ARE issues, then Burn to Folder would be my second choice.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Important to note if using burn to FOLDER - when burning the resulting VIDEO_TS folder to a disc in any burning software, you MUST burn as "DVD Video" and NOT as "DVD Data", so that the DVD is properly formatted to be recognized by set-top DVD players. A computer may play a DVD burned as data, but a DVD player will not recognize it, so TEST the resulting DVD on an actual player and not a computer to be sure before making more copies.

But .iso is the simplest really

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 12:54 PM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

Good point Jeff.

Some authoring/burning utilities do allow for DVD-Data, and that will NOT be what Carolyn's client wants. They will want a DVD-Video.

Do we know the software that the client will be usings? It might be helpful, so that Carolyn can help them out, should they get stuck on their end.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to CaroVideo

"DVD Image" is what you want. That creates the ISO file, and Nero (most later versions), should have zero issues Burning that to a DVD-Video.

As Jeff mentions, they do not want a DVD-Data disc, but should already know that, and will just let Nero handle the ISO, as it should.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to CaroVideo

I'm confused about which option ISO/burn to image is.

In the build mode, I have four options:

DVD disc

DVD folder

DVD Image - which I thought needed special tape hardware to use

DDP Image - which I thought created files that could be FTPed. They are very big, however.

As noted, you want DVD Image - the DDP Image is the one that traditionally needed tape hardward. That is NOT what you want.

Here is help:

http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/building-finished-project.html

You are seeing this in CS6:

EN Build CS6 Panel.jpg

Note that the term is "build" for all options, no longer burn.

If the build button is greyed out, you need to specify a folder.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points