Skip navigation
darkon1970
Currently Being Moderated

Best way to remove glare from glasses

Mar 24, 2013 6:16 PM

I ended up having a picture take with a point and shoot camera.  What would be the best way to remove or at least look presentable to remove the glare from the glasses from one side?  It is bad but I want this picture to be as good as I can get it. 

P1010465 (600x450).jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to darkon1970

Select his right eye, glass, frame and all, put it on its own layer (CTRL-J), flip it horizontally and put it on top of the glare.

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to darkon1970

First I did Juergen's method and merged down the two layers.

Now to improve the lighting...

1. Add a Level adjustment layer. These were the original Levels settings:

fix1.jpg

2. I moved the sliders like this to lighten the whole picture.

fix2.jpg

3. I went one step further to lighten the background. Added another Levels and moved the middle slider left. This however also lightened the men further which I did not want to do, so on the layer's mask I painted over the men with black to mask out that portion of the Levels adjustment and reveal the previous Levels adjustment.

fix3.jpg

Rather than painting black you can select the men and on the mask fill the selection with black. In either case if you revealed too much or too little of the first Levels layer you can fine-tune the mask by painting black or white as needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to darkon1970

If the fix looks good before the enlargement it should look the same after the crop and enlargment.  Just have to try it and see.

One tip I should mention...When you select the right eye/glass frame, select a little bit larger than the actual size. After the paste, use a soft Eraser to remove the excess. This way the edge of the patch will not be noticeable.

If you want the changes I made I posted it at

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=12PVmSeQpooT85Me0UFHEMtxQEBS H0

Right-click it to save to your PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to darkon1970

Something else you might want to do is slightly soften the background, especially to keep focus away from the seated people.

1. Activate the top layer and Ctrl-click the mask. This selects the background (inverse of the 2 men).

2. Activate the picture layer and apply a Gaussian blur.

fix4.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points