Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Security camera

Mar 24, 2013 7:56 PM

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and I was curious if anyone knows a way to superimpose the date and a counter at the bottom of the frame to make a clip look like it came from a security camera?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

You might want to look at the program, DVDate.

In the case of my security cameras, there is a Time/Date Stamp burned into the footage on the recorder.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to adobenewbie123

Unfortunately, not with PrE. Both PrPro and After Effects have the TimeCode Effect, that can be easily applied. However, they mostly use SMPT annotations, such as 00;00;01:24.

One could create just a Date with a Lower-third Title, and to make it look like it came from an old VHS camera, perhaps a Blur, and maybe even some Noise. Unfortunately, I do not know how to add a Time counter for that Date.

Maybe others will have some useful ideas for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

It will be a little work, but not too bad.

Make a title with a 70s font like Curier.  "Saturday, March 28, 18:32".  Place and size where you want it for effect.  Remember the default title background is clear and empty, which is why it appears black.

In the Project Assets box it is easy to copy and paste into the Assets duplicate titles.  Change the minutes and name each extra title for the time to help keep track.  Drag them to where you want them on Video2.  Once on Video 2, you can stretch the titles to 1 minute segments and butt them together.  The effect will be that the "clock' will change every minute.

Depending on the length of your video and how hard you want to work, you could change titles every 10 seconds.   Or even every second.  Any time interval will work for an "effect" that is playing on the viewers imagination.

Viewers are not going to know how or if old '70s security cameras displayed time anyway. 

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 9:13 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

By using the "old fashioned" courier type font with fixed spacing and making copies of the title in the assets window.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

I like that. I was thinking of an hour/minute/second digital counter running, but the one minute interval should be more than adequate.

Using the Duplicate Titles will work beautifully.

To get the "look," Adobenewbie might want to experiment with a touch of Blur, and maybe even a hint of Noise. If used, when things are perfect, one would Select that first Title (the one where the experiment was done), Rt-click on it, choose Copy, then Select and Rt-click on all other Titles, choosing Paste Attributes, to add the adjusted Effects to all of them.

Good one!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

Good one!

Hunt

Thanks!  I actually tried it last night and it did work. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to whsprague

I would assume that it would have. I just got caught up with the tiny details, and lost sight of the "big picture." You saw things that I was just missing completely.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 6:50 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

Sounds like Bill (the smart Bill), was on the correct track. Glad that he thought a bit, outside the box, as I was stuck saying , "I don't think this can be pulled off." Because of your question, and Bill's efforts, I learned something, that might be useful.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 8:18 PM   in reply to adobenewbie123

Please post the video somewhere I can enjoy watching it.

Bill

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points