Skip navigation
Kerry Grant
Currently Being Moderated

Why will my InDesign to PDF print successfully on one printer, but not another?

Mar 24, 2013 10:59 PM

Tags: #pdf #indesign #print #print_problems #indesign_to_pdf

I am having trouble printing on a Postscript 3 printer from a PDF file created with InDesign CS6 on iMac OS 10.8.3.  My document has a graphic set at 17% opacity as the background with black text placed in a layer above.  I am able to print this document on my home printer (HP CM2320 fxi MFP successfully, but when I email it to be printed on a Sharp MX-4110N printer, the text is distorted - it is thicker, fuzzy, and has an ever so slight white outline around each letter.  I have no idea what type of PC is actually being used to print the document on the Sharp.

My text is the top layer, the middle layer is a blank layer, and the bottom layer is the 17% transparency graphic.  I checked my Attributes to make sure that no overprint selections were checked.  When converting to PDF, I selected [High Quality Print} in the Adobe Presets with the default settings, with the exception of changing Pages to Spreads.  I notice that when I go to the Advanced Tab, the Transparency Flattener is grayed out on [Medium Resolution], which means that “Convert all Strokes to Outlines” is active. 

I’ve been researching and at given points thought maybe it was a transparency flattening issue, or an overprint issue, or a PDF conversion issue.  However, since I can successfully print from my home printer, I suspect that the settings I am using to convert to PDF might not be compatible with the Sharp printer?  I am new at this (an amateur to boot) and feel like my head might explode if I Google one more article on these topics.  What am I doing wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 2:19 AM   in reply to Kerry Grant

The transparency flattener is grayed out because the transparency is left live, no flattening is happening in the PDF, and the convert strokes to outlines setting is irrelevant (and wouldn't be affecting the text anyway, unless perhaps if it was stroked, as far as I know).

This sounds like a printer issue (I don't see the Adobe logo or the word "Genuine" associated with Postscript in the specs or description for the printer, so I suspect it's an emulation), or possibly your PDF is being placed into another program for imposition and is being improperly flattened there. How does it look if they use the PCL driver (or maybe thay ARE using the PCL driver instead of the PS driver)?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points