Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to make the text subpicture less jagged?

Mar 24, 2013 8:23 PM

Hi,

I've burned my first DVD and the thing I'd like to change is making the menu button text less jagged. The text subpicture in particular looks terrible. Is this something that can easily be fixed?

I have anti aliasing set to strong for the menu button text.

Thanks

Carolyn

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to CaroVideo

Hello.

I've tried a couple different scenarios with subpictures, and for me, most subpictures that overlay the text and produce the same shape are almost always going to be jagged.  On the DVD side of things, I don't believe there is a way around that.  Blu-ray is a different matter.

However, instead of making a copy of the text and using that as the subpicture, you may want to try a rectangle subpicture that covers the entire text, or you may also want to try a 3 to 5px thick line subpicture that resides below the text itself.  I have the most success with both of those and they don't appear jagged at all.

Here's a picture and video to illustrate:

test.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to CaroVideo

As a DVD Sub-picture Highlight can only be 2-bit color, either ON, or OFF, they will always have a "jagged" look.

There are a few workarounds to that DVD-spec,, that might yield better results:

One can use duplicate Menus, where what "appears" to be a Sub-picture Highlight is actually a graphic on that dup. Menu. The Button on the original Menu would be set to AutoActivate. Note, there will need to be one dupe Menu for each Button on the original Menu, and with a lot of Buttons, that means a lot of dupe Menus.

Another method would be to set partial Transparency (allowed in that 2-bit color), and make it appear as a "glow." This tutorial talks about some methods to accomplish that "look.:" http://www.muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4250&p=85992&hilit= punching&sid=ecd939d4a5c5f361e5bf20a3ba45cea9#p85992

The DVD-specs. are fairly limiting, but with a bit of imagination, one can create some pretty good illusions.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 9:49 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

But the downside with duplicate menus would be that if there is music playing, you could hear the music start over again, each time it changed to a duplicate menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to bigmanfontu

You are correct. This is a problem with say a Main Menu w/ Audio, in that when one goes to the Scene-Selection Menu, w/ the same Audio, there will be a "break." The way that get around this, to some degree, is by selecting music that has quite a bit of repetition, and pauses in it. The jump to the next Menu will likely never be prefect (unless the viewer just happens to change Menus in the musical pause), but if the music is selected carefully, the viewer will likely not be aware of the change - it appears that the music just continues. I have several such musical selections bookmarked in my SmartSound Library, and normally work with one of those. If one has a particular song, that they want to use, then there will be a break, that might be much more noticeable. I steer clear of much music, besides my "Menu music."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points