Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Feedback Form Processor

Mar 25, 2013 1:34 AM

I'm surprised how much time I have spent on this. I should have just posted the question here first.

Anyway, I want to create a feedback form at my website using Dreamweaver. What is the best method?

I say method, because I know there a couple of steps. I'm 99% sure I want to use PHP and I certainly want to have some sort of CAPTCHA. However, I have no idea what PHP processor is best or which one works best with Dreamweaver.

So what is the overall best method to add forms to your website using Dreamweaver?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 2:20 AM   in reply to MysticKnight

Hi MysticKnight,

I would suggest David Powers' tutorial Creating your first dynamic website as your starting point. If you still have questions, feel free to drop in again.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to MysticKnight

There are plenty of free php form scripts out there to use. One of my favorites is Formmail by http://www.tectite.com

It has built in support for Captcha among other security features.

All you need to do is make sure your server can run php, then download the file, add it to your site and make a couple small edits following their how-to documentation. It is a very robust script and allows you to do a lot of things (by turning on and off features) you might not even be thinking about yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to MysticKnight

>and I certainly want to have some sort of CAPTCHA

Are you sure you need CAPTCHA?  Are you already getting a lot of SPAM or otherwise suspicious submissions? All forms of CAPTCHA have accessibility issues and including it will lower the form submission success rates. Sometimes it is necessary but I would start with a more benign method, like honeypot fields first.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to MysticKnight

I think they can.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

I second that. 

CAPTCHAS are not web friendly, they're hard to read and often lead to submission failures which frustrates humans.   I use Honeypot with great success on multiple web sites.  Obviously it won't stop human spammers but neither will CAPTCHAS. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

I do what Nancy and Murray do. I want people to fill out the forms.

Unforunately, the honeypot method will "break" if you use the script from dreamweaverclub.com.

One other thing I do in addition to the honeypot is I record the IP address of the sender thusly:

(on the Form page, which must end in .php (cannot be html):

<?php

$ipi = getenv("REMOTE_ADDR");

?>

Then on the "Work" page (which has to end in .php as well):

<?php

$ip = $_POST['ip'];

// ... the rest of your code

// compiling the meil

$message = " $todayis [EST] \n

Reporting IP Address : IP = $ip \n

$from = "From: $visitormail\r\n";

// sending the email

mail("youremail@youremail.com", $subject, $message, $from);

?>

Anyone who sends in spam from the website contact form gets an IP block, as they're usually from a country my clients do not serve (examples are Belize, India, China, Belarus). Since I build websites for small businesses in my area, they're simply not interested in serving anyone in those countries.

-Mark

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points