Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DVD menu doesn't show up on the DVD

Mar 25, 2013 6:07 AM

i have made a DVD menu. i manually made all the chapter marks. i preview the menu and it works fine but somehow i must be missing a step bacause when i burn the DVD the menu doesn't show up. all the chaptrs are there and i can skip to each of them but no main menu..

once i have the menu built how do i save it or whatever i need to do so that it shows up on the DVD?

Thanks

I have the classroom in a book and read all about the menus but it doens't specifically mention wha to do after manking the main menu so that it shows up on the DVD

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to genesmachine

What operating system are you running? Which version of the software are you using?

How are you testing the DVD? Are you playing it in a DVD player hooked up to a TV? Some computer media players skip the DVD menus and just play the movie.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to genesmachine

If you put the disc in your computer  and you browse it, is there a VIDEO_TS folder and, inside that folder, is there a file called VIDEO-TS.IFO?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to genesmachine

If this is the case, then the program created your DVD with a menu. In fact, if you double-click on this file, it should launch your main menu.

I'm not sure why your DVD player isn't seeing it. Sometimes DVD players have problems with home-burned DVDs -- particularly if you are using an off-brand (like Memorex) or your DVD burner burned at faster than the discs rating.

Download VLC Media Player and select the option to Play Folder. Select the VIDEO_TS folder on this disc and it should play the disc, menu and all.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 7:35 AM   in reply to genesmachine

Along with Steve's suggestions and questions, I have a couple more: exactly which Menu Set did you choose?

You state that you "have made a DVD Menu." Did you create this Menu in Photoshop, or do you mean that you went to the Menu Set Library, and chose a Menu Set? Those operations would be very different, and could yield very different results.

Thanks for that info, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to genesmachine

Exactly which Menu Set did you choose? Knowing the name, plus the "genre folder," will allow someone to look closely at that Menu Set, to see if there is something odd with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to genesmachine

OK, got that. The Faux Widescreen Menu Set looks pretty simple. The Main Menu only has two Buttons (in a simple test Project), and one is basically Play All, and the other takes the viewer to the Scene Selection Menu, where, depending on the Markers added to the Timeline, one can navigate Chapters, or back to the Main Menu.

As a test, when you play your DVD's VIDEO_TS folder, and the Scene Selection Menu comes up, what happens if you choose the "Main Menu" Button (located at the bottom of that Scene Selection Menu)?

Can you also post a screen-cap of your Timeline, showing your various Markers? My first guess would be that you just need to add a Menu Marker at the beginning of your Timeline, but that screen-cap will likely tell the tale.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to genesmachine

If you got a Main Menu Button on your Main Menu, I would guess that there are two Menu Markers somewhere.

The Buttons in PrE will only appear, if there is some connection. That is part of the semi-automatic authoring and navigation. For instances, if there is a Button for Next, on the Scene Selection Menu, but all Chapters fit onto it, with no additional Scene Selection Menus, the Next Button should not appear. Same for the Previous Button on the Scene Selection Menu - if there is but one Scene Selection Menu, both of those Buttons should not appear, though they exist on the Scene Selection Menu's PSD - they should just not appear in PrE.

While one CAN alter Buttons, Delete them, etc., I recommend against doing so, until one is 100% comfortable with Menu Sets in PrE, and then only after they fully understand the structure of Button Layer Sets in the Menu Sets. With the semi-automatic navigation, everything must be 100% correct, regarding the Layers in the the Buttons' Layer Sets, including their naming conventions. Everything is very strict, and a little mistake will likely mess things up badly.

I have been creating DVD Menus for a very long time, but when working with the Menu Sets from PrE, will ALWAYS have one of the Library Menu Sets open, to use as a reference, so that I do not mess things up.

I would use the Timeline Zoom, to the highest magnification, then carefully study the Timeline for Markers very, very closely. Note: Markers can cover each other up, if one is not careful, resulting in two Markers, where only one appears. If in doubt, Delete the one that is showing, to see if there is another one, right below, or nearly so. I have visually "lost" Markers, when not being careful, or Zooming in on the Timeline to max.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to genesmachine

Glad that you found the problem.

Good luck with that little rework.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to genesmachine

I believe that Steve has a tutorial on doing so on Muvipix.com. This article links to a thread in the Photoshop Forum, where I go into some details: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2490848#2490848

I cannot stress enough, that one must first understand what comprises a Menu for DVD/BD. One of the best explanations of that is from Jeff Bellune's book, Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press. Though written for an older version of Encore, all of the info in that book applies to Encore now, regarding exactly how and why a Menu PSD works. However, those are JUST the basics. As Adobe Encore is fully manual (one does all of the linking and navigation by hand), an Encore Menu is fairly simple, compared to a PrE Menu Set, because PrE does most of the linking. It has similar "base" requirements, but then things get complicated, and in a hurry. Still, it can be done.

Were I embarking on such a project, I would start with Jeff's book, and study all of the chapters on Menus. When comfortable with the nomenclature, design, layout, and the mechanics of how they work, I would move up to the PS Foum article, and also Steve's Muvipix articles. That should get one beyond an Encore Menu, and into the realm of a PrE Menu Set. Finally, after the reading, I would Open up one of the PrE Library Menus (start with a Main Menu), and twirl open all Layers and Layer Sets. Study the naming of those Layers and Layer Sets closely. At the same time, study the file names of the Main Menu, the Scene Selection Menu, their PNG thumbnail files, and any Motion Assets in each Menu Set's folder in PrE.

When all of the Layer Sets are open in PS, one of the first things that one will see is all of the languages. Every Button, that has Text, plus every Text Graphic Layer, will have every language, that PrE supports. If one ONLY works in one language, say US English, the other languages are not needed. They are just included in each Library Menu Set PSD, so that one does not need separate PSD's for each language, and so that Adobe can ship one Menu Set, for each Menu, that works with all supported languages - PrE knows to turn ON the language installed.

Even with my experience, due to the intricacy of a PrE Menu Set, I keep one Open in PS, when building, or modifying another - just to make sure that I do not omit something very necessary.

I also strongly recommend that one only work with a Copy of any Menu Set, and then do NOT overwrite the Library Menu Sets. When done, I will always create a new folder, in the Library folders' hierarchy, for my newly created, or modified Menu Set - even if similar to an existing Library Menu Set.

A good training aid would be to take a Copy of one of PrE's Menu Sets, and heavily modify the Menus. When done, create matching PNG's, and place them all in a sub-folder in the hierarchy, and then extensively test them, by using them in a Project, which gets Burned to Folder, or to an RW DVD.

Good luck, and if you get stuck, let us know.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to genesmachine

Great news, and thank you for reporting.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to genesmachine

Here is a look at a PrE Menu in Photoshop with the Layers Palette Open. Notice the various languages, and also take a look at the Layer, and Layer Set names. Those characters are important for the semi-automatic authoring operations in PrE:

PrE_Menu_Example_01.png

This Image shows a similar Menu from Encore. Notice the absence of the languages, and also take note of the Layer and Layer Set names. They are quite simple, though the characters are just as important:

Encore_Menu_01.png

Hope that this gives you and idea of how much more involved a PrE Menu Set is, compared to a standard DVD Menu.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points