Skip navigation
essenceoferin
Currently Being Moderated

PDF generation not respecting right margin

Mar 25, 2013 9:11 AM

Hello FM community,

I'm relatively new to FrameMaker and I'm hoping you might be able to help me out with an margin issue I've been experiencing lately, probably the last two weeks or so.

I have the TCS 3.5 which includes Frame 10 and Acrobat X Pro.

I use FM to produce my company's user manual.  I use a couple of master pages for different types of pages, like section pages and title pages, but the majority of my manual  uses the same master page which is just a simple header, footer, and giant text frame in the middle.

Up until recently (about 2 weeks), everything generated fine when I went to save as PDF. 

Recently, however, whenever I save as PDF, Acrobat distiller and/or FrameMaker is not respecting my right margins and will generate OFF the page.  The text displays perfectly in FM, but when I generate as PDF, random pages print outside of the right margin.

Has anybody experienced this before?  Forgive me if this has come up many times, but it is new to me, and I would appreciate any newbie tips on how to troubleshoot this issue.

This is how it looks in FrameMaker:

FM margin.png

This is how it generates as PDF:

PDF margin.png

Thanks so much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to essenceoferin

That does look rather strange. A few more details would help.

What jobtions did you specify?

What was the output sheet size specified?

Are you generating for CMYK or RGB?

What is your FrameMaker point version, i.e. have you patched FM10 to the latest version?

Are you geting any font substitutions - looks different between the FM & PDF outputs?

Do you have the "DisplayUsingPrinterMetrics=On" option set in the FM maker.ini file?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to essenceoferin

Comparing the PDF with the FM, one sees that the lines break at the same places. This suggests to me that Acrobat Reader or Acrobat is using a different font to display the text. This would be strange UNLESS the font FrameMaker is using is located somewhere that only FrameMaker has access. So, Acrobat is using a different font to display the text.

Check the PDF log to see whether Distiller is replacing the font with another one. I recall someone recently saying that one needs to tell Distiller to use only system fonts and not document fonts (if they are embedded in the document).

Also try setting the PDF options in FrameMaker to embed the fonts in the PDF. Then check the PDF to see whether the correct fonts were embedded (open the file and select File > Properties > Fonts).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to essenceoferin

It also looks to me like there is font substitution taking place. Look

at the differences in size of the spaces between the words. Look at the

word "If" in the middle of the 2nd list item. Perhaps this is just an

artifact of the graphic you captured, but in one, the "I" and "f" are

the same height. In the other, they are not.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to essenceoferin

What is the default printer that you have during a FM session? It should be the Adobe PDF printer instance.

The PDF properties listing of what's emebedded doesn't tell you what's actually being used at any specific location in your document. To check what font is actually being used, you can use Acrobat's "Edit Document Text" option to see which font is there. Select the option. Highlight the text and right click to get the context menu. Select "Properties" and you should get the TouchUp Properties panel with the Text tab showing the font specifics.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to essenceoferin

Is this happening randomly throughout your documentation or in any specific files?

Check your FM paragraph designer to see if there are any overrides being applied in the paragraph tags that show the enhanced word spacings. Also, what's the original source of the content, i.e. was it entered in FM or was it imported from another app like Word? Sometimes oddball formatting comes aong as baggage that FM doesn't properly clean out. A MifWash (saving as MIF, re-open and save as binary) will often clear out any leftover cruft.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 6:24 PM   in reply to essenceoferin

How precisely was the "bolding" applied? It's hard to tell from just looking at the posted image - and are these from FM or the PDF?

You should have a "Bold" (actually you should be using a more semantically appropriate name for the character tag to represent meaning not formatting attribute) in your Character table. What parameters are set in the Character Designer for this tag?

If you are using the "B" bold button or ctrl-B shortcut, then STOP! You should never ever, never ever, never ever apply a character formatting in FM unless it is using a Character tag from the catalog. If you use these shortcus, then the document publishing pixies will bless you with frustration and endless hair-pulling on you and your document for evermore...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to essenceoferin

Look at the File > Utilities > Create and Apply Formats prior to full-on weeping.

Make sure to set your character catalog to view only used formats; you may decide not to step off of the ledge!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to mattrsullivan

Just do a complete backup before you apply formats - it's a one-way street.

Also, do try a MifWash first to see if this cleans out the spurious spacing from the bolding.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to essenceoferin

This totally off the wall, but you say that maybe your issues relate to Open Type fonts. There should be no problems with Open Type fonts.

In this post and earlier, you mention your master font. Adobe used to make a customizable font type called Multiple Masters. I am wondering whether you are confusing the two, multiple masters and open type.

I do not know whether FrameMaker does or ever did support multiple master fonts.

Just a hunch.

Van

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to Reviewer1066

FYI, FM did/does support MM fonts, though they have been deprecated by Adobe.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points